This easy veggie main dish casserole is not only delicious but good for you! Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna has become a new favorite of mine and will definitely make another appearance on our table! Cheesy Bechamel sauce is combined with the kale and butternut, layered between no-boil lasagna. Nutty Pecan Pieces top off the lasagna giving it a nutty flavor that combines well with the rest of the ingredients.
This Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna recipe is my contribution to the Veggies as a Main dish Sunday Supper Event being hosted by DB Stuntman over at Crazy Foodie Stunts.
I love the nutritional powerhouse that this casserole is! With Garlic, Butternut Squash, Kale and Pecans. its my opinion you can’t go wrong with this recipe!
When it was time to sit down for dinner, my hubby took a serving gobble it right up. Lets face it. He’s used to me trying all kinds of things by now and knows that even if it sounds weird to him, it can still taste good. He devoured his first plate of lasagna, then he asked for seconds!
Growing up with a mom who cooked vegetarian, these type of meals totally appeal to me. I love the heath benefits from the vegetables and nuts and it is also very filling. My body craves this kind food! Since you have your veggie, protein, and carbohydrates all in one serving, you really don’t need a side dish. Unless you want to count that glass of wine!
Read on below the recipe for more great ideas with Veggies as a Main dish and leave me a comment to let me know what your favorite vegetarian meal is!
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small fresh butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and sliced
- 3 cups kale, chopped (remove stems)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3/4 cups almond milk, divided
- 2 ounces Cheddar-Gruyère cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Combine ¼ cup water and squash in an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and pierce plastic wrap 2 to 3 times. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until tender; drain. Combine squash and kale in a large bowl. Toss to combine and cover bowl. Steam from the squash will help the kale start to wilt some. Wipe the dish you microwaved the squash in dry.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until garlic begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and ½ cup milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add milk mixture and remaining 2¼ cups milk to pan; increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1 ounce Cheddar -Gruyère and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until cheese melts.
- Coat baking dish with cooking spray. Spread ⅓ cup milk mixture in bottom of dish. Arrange 2 noodles over milk mixture; top with half of squash mixture and ⅔ cup milk mixture. Repeat layers once, ending with remaining noodles and remaining milk mixture. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle remaining Cheddar-Gruyère and pecans over top. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Veggies as a Main Sunday Supper Recipe Link up
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by The Crumby Cupcake
- Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Butternut Squash Portobello Tacos with Garlic Sage Cream Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Crème Fraîche and Fried Sage Leaves by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Veggie Bake by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Eggplant Rollatini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Eggplant Rollatini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flourless Oatmeal Nutella Pumpkin Muffins by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma Pizza with Dried Tomatoes by Get the Good Stuff!
- Greek Stuffed Baked Zucchini by The Weekend Gourmet
- Harissa-Roasted Vegetables with Couscous by Caroline’s Cooking
- Moroccan-style Lentil Chickpea Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Polenta with Aged Gouda, Chard & Wild Mushrooms by 30A Eats
- Portobello Stack by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake by gotta get baked
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Potato and Spinach Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shiitake Mushrooms with a Balsamic Glaze Over Polenta by Fearless Dining
- Stuffed Butternut Squash by Life Tastes Good
- Vegan Sandwich with Fresh Veggies by Healing Tomato
- Vegetable Pizza by Feeding Big and more
- Vegetable Strudel by Palatable Pastime
- Vegetarian Chili by Wholistic Woman
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.