Crispy and delicious with a touch of cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar. I never imagined I could make Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries as good as these!
This week, the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing with you dishes made with Root Vegetables hosted by Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings. I’m excited to see all the great ideas and recipes this week!
I finally got myself a spiralizer! I can’t believe I waited this long because I am enamored with it! I absolutely love how you can make shoestring fries just by using this little ole machine 🙂 This is probably the easiest recipe I have made for fries and I’m totally impressed that they came out with some crunch!
When thinking about this post and our topic, I could not help but think of my Great Aunt Helga. That lady loved her turnips! While I like turnips just fine, I love sweet potatoes more but I do wonder how turnips would turn out in a similar recipe (without the cinnamon and sugar of course).
After a couple of attempts at making these, I finally managed to get it right without burning them! These do need to be baked at a high heat to crisp them up, but you also have to keep a very close eye on them. Spread them out well on the pan and don’t let them lie on top of each other too much or you will have patches of crispy burnt fries with patches of not completely cooked fries.
I tossed these with just a little bit of canola oil, cinnamon, and brown sugar before baking. Then, after baking, I sprinkled with some pink crystal salts. These had the perfect amount of sweet, spice, and salt and Grumpy and I ate these, and these alone for lunch one day! I also flavored some with a little cayenne pepper to give it a heat factor.
How would you flavor your Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries?
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Splenda Brown Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 415 degrees.
- To cut shoestring fries, use "c" blade on spiralizer.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss potatoes, oil, cinnamon, and brown sugar blend together.
- Spread out onto parchment lined cookie sheet into single layers - try not to let too many potatoes lie on top of each other.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn potatoes over and bake another 5-10 minutes. Watch potatoes carefully as they can burn easily.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with salt. Serve.
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Chips from Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Beet Hummus from And She Cooks
- Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Roasted Parsnip, Carrot and Garlic Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Roasted Sweet Potato Soup from Magnolia Days
- Root Vegetable Soup with Herb Croutons from An Appealing Plan
- Waffled Carrot Latkes from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Golden Beet Chips with Sea Salt from Sunday Supper Movement
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Smoothie from Brunch-n-Bites
- Carrot Cake Waffles from Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Biscuits with Beetroot Orange Marmalade from Dad Whats 4 Dinner
- Sweet Potato Biscuit and Sausage Gravy Skillet Bake from The Texan New Yorker
- Bacon-Potato Torte from Tramplingrose
- Beef & Root Vegetable Hand Pastries from Gate to Plate
- Beet, Blue Cheese and Bacon Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
- Beet Pesto from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Celery Root, Apple and Gorgonzola Flat Bread Pizza from Simply Healthy Family
- Hearty Stew Hand Pies from The TipToe Fairy
- Roasted Root Vegetable Panzanella Salad from The Chef Next Door
- Root Vegetable and Beef Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roasted Vegetable Borscht from The Crumby Cupcake
- Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes from Life Tastes Good
- Sweet Potato Pancakes from Our Good Life
- Turnip Rutabaga and Root Veggie Beef Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Wild Rice Vegetable Bake from Wholistic Woman
- Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan and Garlic from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beet, Greens and Goat Cheese Gratin from Monica’s Table
- Boxty (Irish Potato Pancakes) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Browned Butter Braised Baby Turnips from Food Lust People Love
- Caprese Twice Baked Potatoes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- Carrot Ribbon and Orange Salad from Pies and Plots
- Celery Root Gratin with Horseradish Cream from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Italian Roasted Rosemary and Garlic Potatoes from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Gogoma Jorim (Korean Soy-braised Sweet Potatoes) from kimchi MOM
- Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Jicama Home Fries from Casa de Crews
- Lemon Thyme Au Gratin Potatoes from Vintage Kitty
- Moroccan Harissa Potatoes from Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Roasted Root Vegetable Farro from Cooking Chat
- Roasted Rosemary Potatoes (with make-ahead tip) from Meal Planning Magic
- Root Vegetable Mash from Feeding Big and more
- Rooty Dauphinoise from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Smashed Potatoes from Taste And See
- Smoked Sausage Potato Casserole from Kitchen Gidget
- Spicy Carrots & Potatoes from Sweet Mornings
- Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apples, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Best Ever Carrot Cake from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Carrot Cookies from The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Carrot & Squash Muffins from What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Carrot Cake from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Iced Beet Cake from Beauty and the Beets
- Gluten Free Carrot Cake from Real Food Real Deals
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement