Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts are moist, delicious, and full of citrus flavor! The donut is made with a ricotta batter surrounding fresh raspberries buried in a bright citrus glaze making this a perfect spring breakfast to wake up to!
Today, the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are celebrating spring with recipes that are made with spring ingredients. Hosting our event this week is Renee from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures! Thanks for hosting Renee!
Spring is in the air. Actually, spring has been in the air all winter long in my New York home. We really didn’t have much snow to say so until after spring arrived. Easter Sunday was beautiful and warm and the very next weekend our temperatures dropped and we woke up to snow! I hope you are not waking up to snow today and rather to a nice sunny spring morning where you can enjoy treats like these Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts!
Citrus fruits are a wake me up fruit so it seems very appropriate that the time of year where the vegetation is coming back to life and the birds start migrating back north that we associate lemons with spring.
A great tip for filling your baked donut pan is to use a decorating bag (see above photo). I pipe the batter into the donut pan wells without much effort and very little mess!
While I love a good old fashioned fry cake doughnut I don’t want all the grease and fat associated with it. Those delicious doughnuts of my mom’s are a very rare treat for us. Rather, I will bake donuts for us.
This donut recipe made 6 large donuts and about 2 dozen mini donuts. The mini donuts I did not put raspberries in. Fair warning, the donuts with the raspberries are moist and best eaten the same day. The mini donuts are moist also, but not as much. If they sit around all day (I can’t imagine they would) the glaze would probably dampen. That is just the price you pay for baked donuts.
While I did use meyer lemon juice in the donut batter recipe, I switched to a regular lemon for the glaze. I love meyer lemons but their tang is not as prominent as the regular lemon and I wanted a really zesty lemony flavored glaze and grated some extra lemon zest into my glaze for good measure (and pretty yellow color!)
What are some of your favorite spring recipes? Make sure to check out the links below to see what the rest of the Sunday Supper Tastemakers have shared with us today!
- 1-1/2 cup cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- sanding sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together egg, ricotta cheese, oil, and lemon juice. Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the hole and stir together until well combined.
- Scoop batter into a piping bag or a heavy duty freezer bag and snip a bottom corner with scissors. Arrange raspberries in donut pan.Squeeze out batter evenly into prepared donut pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for a few moments and then flip over onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For Glaze:
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth. Add more sugar for thickness, more lemon juice for thinness. Drizzle glaze over doughnuts. Let stand until glaze has set before serving.
- Chicken Sausage, Apple and Cheddar Breakfast Bake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Chive and Cheese Quiche by An Appealing Plan
- Lavender Scones by Feeding Big and More
- Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Matcha Donuts by The Ninja Baker
- Whole Wheat Lemon Berry Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze by A Mindful Mom
- Artichoke Lemon Hummus by Food Done Light
- Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart by Baking Sense
- Butter Lettuce and Spring Radish Salad by Hardly A Goddess
- Ceviche with Potato and Pea Shoot Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Roasted Strawberry Popsicles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Rustic Wrapped Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- An Unconventional Mojito by Monica’s Table
- Caribbean Cream Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cucumber Grapefruit Basil Mojito by The Crumby Cupcake
- Limoncello Raspberry Sangria by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Spiced Rhubarb Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D Books and Cooks
- Vanilla Lavender Limeade by The Tip Toe Fairy
- Very Berry Springtime Spritzer by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Violet Hour by Wholistic Woman
- Cheese Tortellini with Herbed Ricotta and Fava Beans by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gnocchi Primavera with Spring Asparagus and Peas by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Levantine Fattoush Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- One Pan Spicy Lemon Chicken with Tomatoes by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orecchiette with Peas, Pecorino and Onions by Cooking Chat
- Pasta with Peas by Manu’s Menu
- Pesto Shrimp and Zoodles Oh My! by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Ramp and Mushroom Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Spring Lamb Skewers with Roasted Baby Carrots by Food Lust People Love
- Spring Salad with Scallops and Strawberry Vinaigrette by My World Simplified
- Veggie Pasta Primavera by Momma’s Meals
- Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Rhubarb Salad by The Texan New Yorker
- Green Peas with Onion and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- Minty Pea Farro Spring Salad by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Amazing Coconut Cake by A Baking Legacy
- Berry and Honey Whipped Ricotta by Family Foodie
- Caramelized Black Figs and Walnuts with Mascarpone by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Carrot Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cookies by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Colorado Crème by Cooking on the Ranch
- Honey Blossoms by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hot Milk Sponge Cake by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Lemon Scented Choux with Rhubarb Ginger Pastry Cream by The Finer Cookie
- Meyer Lemon Bars by The Chef Next Door
- No-Bake Berry Greek Yogurt Pie by An Italian in my Kitchen
- Spring Cookie Bouquet by The Freshman Cook
- Rhubarb Meringue Pie by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry Cheesecake Puffs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Strawberry Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream by Tramplingrose
- Strawberry Moscato Sorbet by Seduction in the Kitchen
- The Black Beast by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Spring Vegetable Minestrone and more Spring Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Raspberry Lemon Baked Donuts – PIN IT!