Sweet heat is where it is at for me and these Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos are just that! Sweet Hot Pickled Peppers combined with some chipotle chili powder give this recipe that sweet addicting kick and make this a must try recipe for those who have the sweet heat addiction!
Spice is Nice and Some Like it Hot is the theme for our Sunday Supper event today. I would have to say that I like all spices, but I particularly love sweet heat! Combine a little sugar with a lot of hot and I’m one happy girl!
Normally, I don’t think you would see someone use sweet/hot pickled peppers in a pulled pork recipe. At least I have never seen it. However, scrounging around in my pantry one day I was trying to figure out what I could use to make this particular recipe with a little sweet heat. Then I saw my sweet hot salad peppers and I knew they were going to make this recipe absolutely amazing!
I simply took a pork tenderloin that was already seasoned with a mesquite flavor. Placed it in foil in a baking dish, then poured my peppers and all that sweet hot delicious juice over top. Sealed the foil and baked in my oven for 1-1/2 hours.
When it was all done, I pulled the pork using two forks and then tossed it in with the juices to coat it really well. Easy peasy. I then added some chipotle chili powder and a little brown sugar. The flavor was absolutely amazing!
I ate these 3 days in a row! Yes. Grumpy, my not so “Mexican food fan” and not a great “pulled pork fan” refused to eat one. He’s such a party pooper. I am fairly certain he would have loved these. However, more for me I guess!
Just looking at my photos as I write this post makes me wish I had some of this still. I may have to make it again soon and just take it into work to share with my co-workers so I can eat them again!
What type of spice is your favorite? Do you like sweeter spices like cinnamon or nutmeg? Or do you like hotter chili pepper spice? Whatever your preference, we have a whole line up of Hot and Spicy Recipes just for you below! Be sure to scroll to the bottom for my recipe
Pin it! Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos!
- 1 pound mesquite flavored pork tenderloin
- 8-oz jar Sweet Hot Pepper slices, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (use more or less depending on your heat factor)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (or use 1-1/2 teaspoon Splenda Brown Sugar Blend)
- Cabbage slaw mix
- jalapeno slices
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Place pork tenderloin on foil in a large baking dish. Pour all of the sweet hot pepper slices and juice over the pork. Fold foil together to seal pork and peppers together. Bake in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Once pork is cooked, remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Place pork in a large bowl and pull apart using two forks.
- Stir in chipotle chili powder and brown sugar. When ready to serve, reheat as necessary. Mix together lime juice and sour cream. Layer tortilla as follows: Cabbage slaw, pulled pork mixture, drizzle sour cream and sprinkle with cilantro and jalapeno slices (if desired). Enjoy!
The cabbage slaw is a mixture of shredded green and red cabbage with some carrot shreds mixed in. I find this premixed in a bag in the vegetable section of Trader Joes. You can make your own slaw mixture with the combination of any of these ingredients. There is no dressing - this is a dry slaw. The juice from the pulled pork adds enough flavor that there is no need for a dressing. Enjoy!
Serving Size:1 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 315mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 20g