Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches are cheesy waffles that sandwich bacon, creamy avocado, and a runny egg. Give it a little sriracha drizzle and top it off with an asiago cheese crisp. This sandwich is like creamy, crispy comfort in your mouth making a delicious brunch or dinner!
I have been thinking about making a sandwich with waffles for some time so when I found out that Sunday Supper Tastemakers were going to be making all things waffle, I decided to give this particular sandwich a try!
Grab your waffle iron and lets make some egg sandwiches!
I don’t make waffles that often and I really should get over my “idea” that it’s too much work! It really isn’t that much work at all other than I have to walk to the storage closet to pull the waffle maker out of storage. I know that sounds a bit on the lazy side, but it also means cleaning it up and putting it away. We all have things we don’t like to do for silly reasons and getting that waffle iron out of the closet seems like such a chore to me!
Rather than a melty cheese, I went with asiago cheese crisps. I love asiago cheese and just using it in the waffle batter for me was not going to be enough. I thought the cheese crisps would be a great touch to add to the egg sandwich and they were very easy to make.
How did I make my Asiago Cheese Crisps?
To make these, I fried a tablespoon of the cheese in a hot skillet until crispy and browned! I felt that the runny egg yolk and avocado on the sandwich would give it the creaminess that the sandwich would need. You can go with a soft melty cheese if you prefer, but the flavor of the asiago can’t be beat!
Make sure you check out the links below the recipe for all the delicious sweet and savory waffle recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers! Which one will be your favorite?
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Be sure to Pin and Share Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon aleppo pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cup asiago cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 8 slices pre-cooked bacon
- 1 avocado cut into 8 slices
- 8 tablespoons asiago cheese for asiago cheese crisps
In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg and milk together until blended. In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, aleppo pepper and salt. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Stir in asiago cheese. Cook in hot waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. Cut waffles into sandwich sized portions. My waffle maker makes large squares and I cut the squares into quarters. Keep waffles warm until ready to assemble.
Make cheese crisps adding 1 tablespoon of cheese to hot skillet, frying pan until browned and crisp. Remove and set aside until ready to assemble sandwich.
Cook 8 eggs according to preference. Assemble sandwich by layering cheese crisp, avocado, bacon, and egg. Drizzle with a sriracha mayo if desired and top with another waffle square. Serve hot.
Make a sriracha mayo by combining sriracha sauce and mayonnaise to taste. Add lime juice if desired, to thin out some and make a drizzle sauce.
The Spice Way - Premium Aleppo Pepper 4 oz. Crushed Aleppo Pepper Flakes (Halaby Pepper/Pul Biber/Marash Pepper/Aleppo Chili Flakes) Popular in Turkish and Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cooking
BLACK+DECKER 3-in-1 Waffle Maker with Nonstick Reversible Plates, Stainless Steel, G48TD
Lodge 13.25 Pre Seasoned Inch Cast Iron Skillet. Large Classic Cast Iron Skillet for Family Size Meals
Huy Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce Bottle, 17 Ounce (Pack Of 2)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 240mg Sodium: 552mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g