Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake has that brown sugar, buttery, pineapple topping that is that bakes up a little crisp and gooey. Pineapple rings and a cherry in the middle inter mingles with the brown sugar topping is all this manly recipe needs to be fancy!
Growing up, we always knew that Dad’s favorite cake was a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. This classic recipe for Pineapple Upside Down Cake is not fancy with frosting or layers of cake with decorations. It’s your basic yellow cake with fruit and buttery brown sugar. No whipped cream needed,although I will not think you unmanly if you add whipped cream! Rather I would likely adore you!
With Father’s Day only a week away, the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are bringing you over 30+ Manly Recipes for Father’s Day. Sarah of The Chef Next Door is hosting this manly event and big thanks goes out to her for all of her hard work!
My dad was always a laborer. Middle class, blue collar, hard-working and handsome. 🙂 In my teen years, my dad quit his job at the zinc mines and operated a dairy farm. The sweat and hard work that comes with farming is something that will make you or break you! I remember many days of either raking the hay or unloading the bales of hay into the hay mow. When we were done, we were exhilarated but exhausted! Any appetite we may have worked up would have definitely included this Pineapple Upside Down Cake with no guilt attached! This “manly dessert recipe” is a no frills dessert! No icing (none needed!), no layers, just delicious brown sugar, pineapple and yellow cake!
This cake is really quite easy to put together. You mix the melted butter, brown sugar and a little bit of water right into the cake pan, then smooth the brown sugar mixture out to coat the bottom.
Using a 9-inch round baking pan, 8 slices of pineapple will fit perfectly over top of the brown sugar mixture. You only need 4 cherries and you will cut them each in half to lie one half into each hole of the pineapple ring.
The cake recipe itself is just a basic yellow cake recipe. You want to make sure you butter is very soft, but not melted, when making this recipe. Using a hand mixer, you will blend all the ingredients together until all the lumps have disappeared.
To cover the pineapple and cherries, you will want to gently spoon the batter over top. Just a slight smoothing over is needed once the batter is all in the pan.
The cake bakes about 30 minutes, and cools for 5 before you “flip” the cake onto a serving platter.
What you get is this delicious moist cake that will disappear in no time fast. Promise!
What is your Dad’s favorite recipe? Will you make it for him this Father’s Day?
Be sure to scroll past the recipe to see over 30 more Manly Recipes for Father’s Day!
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 8 pineapple rings
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter and pour in bottom of 9 inch round cake pan.Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Stir to combine, then spread over entire bottom of pan.
- Place pineapple rings in pan over top of brown sugar mixture. Place ½ of cherry, cut side up, in center of each pineapple ring.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Add water, egg, and softened butter. Mix on low speed until combined. Mix another minute on medium speed, until batter is smooth.
- Spoon batter over the fruit in prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen cake from pan and invert onto serving plate. Serve warm.
Appetizers & Snacks:
- Best Popcorn Ever (with Nutritional Yeast!!) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Easy Homemade Pretzel Recipe by April Golightly
- Nana’s Pimento Cheese by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bourbon Sweet Tea Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Dad’s Favorite Blueberry Pancakes by Family Around The Table
- Steak & Egg Breakfast Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
Condiments & Sauces:
- Apple Crisp by Ninja Baker
- Banana Berry Bread by Desserts Required
- Blackberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream by Simple and Savory
- Black Bourbon Walnut Brownies with Maple-Candied Bacon by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blueberry Ice Cream Cookie Bars by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cherry Garcia Bars by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cupcakes by Crazed Mom Lifestyle & Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Coconut Cream Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tempura Strawberries by Baking Sense
- German Chocolate Brownie Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Graham Cracker Chocolate Chunk No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Fruit Kabobs with Fresh Whipped Cream by Helpful Homemade
- Peach Crumble Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Personal Banana Cream Pie by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie by The Chef Next Door
- Maizena Tamal by Basic N Delicious
- Mom’s Carrot Cake by Jennifer Cooks
- Bacon Patty Melts by Cookin’ Mimi
- BBQ Salmon Salad with Avocado Ranch Dressing by PancakeWarriors
- Beef Shepherd’s Pie Casserole by Cooking Chat
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos by Palatable Pastime
- Carolina-Style BBQ Burger by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib Roast by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fried Chicken by Tramplingrose
- Grilled Chicken and Beef Stir Fry by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Filet Mignon with Zip Sauce by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Italian Sausage and Peppers by Monica’s Table
- Moroccan Preserved Lemon Chicken Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philly Style Slow Roasted Pork Sandwich with Broccoli Rabe and Provolone by The Hungry Goddess
- Sharp Cheddar and Crispy Onion Burgers with Horseradish Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Skillet Spaghetti and Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Spicy Fish Tacos with Garlic-Chive Aioli by Wholistic Woman
- Turkey Chorizo Burgers with Guacamole by Books n’ Cooks
- Vegetarian “Philly Cheesesteak” by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Walnut Cauliflower Zucchini Boats by Beauty and the Beets
- Chipotle Lime Cole Slaw by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- The Ultimate BLT Pasta Salad by Cooking with Carlee
Plus What Dad Really Wants for Father’s Day from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.