There is just something sinfully good about using bourbon and bacon in your recipes. This Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog is no exception! Topped off with some thin slices of jalapeno pepper, you have that complete sweet heat deal going on. A perfectly grilled snappy hotdog paired with the Bourbon Onion Bacon topping is heaven in your mouth!
This week the Sunday Supper Tastemakers are celebrating National Hot Dog Month! We decided that since serving hamburgers is synchronous with hot dogs, and are sharing our favorite recipes for juicy burgers and dogs this week! July 23 (yesterday!) was National Hot Dog Day, so if you missed the day, at least you can know you haven’t missed the month yet and can still get your dog on!
A big thanks to Christie of A Kitchen Hoors Adventures for hosting this week’s event!
As a child, when I ate a hotdog, I had to have ketchup on it. As I have grown up, I have moved away from ketchup and on to bourbon and bacon! I love an onion topping. The pushcart onions are one of my favorites, but I think these bourbon caramelized onions have become my very favorite!
The hotdog you eat makes all the difference also. You want a good quality hot dog. We prefer Ballpark Finest or Hofmann Hots. Something with a lot of flavor and a little snap when you bite into it!
Bourbon, butter, and bacon. The 3 essential B’s! Sinful, delicious, and oh so irresistible!
When I make caramelized my onions, I sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on top to give them a little sweeter flavor. Once they are caramelized, I deglazed my pan with the bourbon. Oh sweet heaven of smells! Top your dog with the onions and a few thin slices of jalapeno for heat. I’m all about that sweet heat so this was amazing for me!
Go ahead and grab a burger or dog and enjoy the remainder of National Hot Dog Month with the Sunday Supper Tastemakers. Be sure to check out the list of Juicy Burgers and Dogs that they have shared this week!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- Cook bacon. Crumble and set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in skillet. Add onion and cook until onions begin to brown. Sprinkle with ½ tablespoon brown sugar and stir into onions. Turn heat up and cook until onions begin to sizzle. Add bourbon (carefully!) to pan. This will cause the onions to bubble furiously. With caution, stir onions for about 1 minute with the bourbon cooks down and glazes the onions. Remove from heat.
- Serve onions over cooked hot dogs in buns and sprinkle with bacon.
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
BOURBON ONION BACON DOG – PIN IT!