Hearty, healthy, beefy goodness! Smothered Hamburger Steaks make a perfect meal any night of the week! Mushrooms and Onions are sauteed together until browned, then seasoned with a little red wine and beef broth to deglaze the pan. Smother the juicy burgers with this combination then top with some cheddar gruyere cheese for a tasty dinner in less than 30 minutes!
This week our Sunday Supper Tastemakers are sharing Lean Beef Recipes! Thank you to Sarah from The Chef Next Door for hosting!
It’s not a secret that we love beef in the Grumpy house. Whenever I need something delicious and nutritious as well as fast, I always turn to some of the leaner cuts of beef. Ground beef is one of my favorites. You can do so much with it! Soup, Chili, Burgers, Meatball Crepes, or Meatball Chili to name just a few!
For this recipe I went with 85% lean ground Certified Angus Beef®. This gave me a little more fat to help keep the steaks juicy, as well as lean enough for the fat content to not be too high for our diet. I added some worcestershire sauce to deepen the flavor of the beef as well as salt and pepper. That is all this burger needs for a tasty burger on it’s own!
I used my trusty cast iron skillet for cooking, and I cooked the entire meal in this skillet!
Once the burgers have cooked a few minutes on each side, you remove them and cook the mushrooms and onions. This is where the over the top goodness comes in!
Once the vegetables are sauteed, you thicken with a little flour, add some red wine and beef broth to make your sauce. Then you will add the burgers back to the pan and bury them with the mushroom and onion mixture.
Top with some full of flavor cheddar gruyere cheese and simmer on low until cheese melts and burgers are finished cooking through.
What is your favorite recipe with lean beef? Be sure to check out the links below to see what other Sunday Supper Tastemakers have been cooking up this week!
Tip: to get the best flavor, be sure to use Certified Angus Beef® brand! It is the #bestbeef!
- 1 pound 85% lean ground Certified Angus Beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted beef stock
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 4 slices Cheddar-Gruyère cheese
- Combine beef, 1 teaspoons oil, Worcestershire, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in a bowl; mix with hands. Divide into 4 portions, shaping each into a patty.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add patties to pan and cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove patties from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add onion and mushrooms to pan. Cook until mushrooms are browned. Sprinkle with flour, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. Add wine and beef stock to pan. Cook 1 minute or until thickened and slightly reduced, stirring frequently. Move onion mixture to sides of pan and return patties to pan. Spoon onion mixture over patties. Place 1 oz cheese slice over each patty. Cover and cook or until cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes)
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Pin it – Smothered Hamburger Steaks