A dense, fudgy cupcake topped with a semi-sweet frosting and decorated with Valentine “I love you” Sprinkles! Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes are a delicious way to show your love to the one you love!
When I think of Valentine’s Day and romantic desserts, I always think of deep, dark, chocolate. These cupcakes are just that. They are dense with a deep chocolate flavor and they tote a very chocolatey frosting. One bite and you know you have something special!
I’m not sure what will happen for Valentine’s day this year. Grumpy has some unique ways of really surprising me. However, I never expect anything from him. Let’s face it, we’ve been together going on 17 years now. We pretty much do what we want whenever we want and get what we want when we can. This year I’m getting a new kitchen. I’d say that’s worth a lifetime of Valentine’s gifts right there!
That said, I will still bake for my Grumpy. After all, I not only love him, but I love to bake! These cupcakes were made special with a little locally made special dark chocolate!
What’s your favorite way of sharing on Valentine’s Day with the one you love? Looking to try something new? Check out the recipes below!
Bacon Lobster Omelette by Caroline’s Cooking
Boozy Bailey’s Milkshakes by I Say Nomato
Chocolate Cake with No Bake Oreo Filling by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Chocolate Chip Brownies by Family Around the Table
Chocolate Espresso Cupcakes by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Pan Seared Steaks with Homemade Steak Sauce by A Palatable Pastime
Red Velvet Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting by The Chef Next Door
Sour Cherry Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Strawberry Jell-O Parfaits by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Surprise Inside Baked Chocolate Pudding by Cooking With Carlee
Sweetheart Strawberry Galette by Red Cottage Chronicles
- For the Cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 ounces espresso flavored dark chocolate, melted
- For the Icing
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- With hand mixer, mix butter and sugar until creamy. Blend in vanilla extract. Mix 1/2 flour mixture with batter until just blended. Mix in sour cream then mix in remaining flour mixture until just blended. Fold in melted dark chocolate.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of cake.
- To make the frosting, melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave. Stir in confectioner’s sugar. Spread over cupcakes and decorate as desired.