Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are very easy to make and turn out just as tasty, if not tastier than those you can buy in the store or get out in a restaurant.
This week the #SundaySupper Tastemakers are sharing recipes for fancy appetizers and is being hosted by Wendy at Wholistic Woman.
You may wonder what is so fancy about a cheesestick. Well, these are no ordinary cheese sticks. These are made with whole milk mozzarella, and seasoned panko crumbs with a little kick and then baked. In my opinion, these are fancy because they are made right at home and not store bought!
This recipe is really so easy to make. I buy whole milk mozzarella sticks right at Trader Joe’s (it is the only place I have found them). When I get home with them, I put them straight in the freezer until I’m ready to assemble them.
These homemade mozzarella cheese sticks are double dipped, sprayed with cooking spray and only take 10 minutes in the oven. While the crumb coating is not as crispy as you would get if you fried them, it is still tasty. How can anything with gooey, stringy mozzarella cheese not be tasty?!
A total of 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven and you’re ready to enjoy stringy full of flavor appetizers. The best part about this is you can pre-make them, freeze them, then bake them in no time flat.
If you love appetizers as much as I do, then you’re going to want to check out the links below for more recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
- 6 whole milk mozzarella sticks, cut in half and frozen
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
- 2 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In blender or nutrabullet, whiz bread crumbs, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and red pepper flakes about 10 seconds. Place blended panko bread crumbs in bowl.
- Whisk two eggs until well blended.
- Dip mozzarella stick in egg, then dip in panko bread crumbs. Repeat.
- Place mozzarella stick on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Once all mozzarella sticks have been coated, spray with a coating of cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet with mozzarella sticks in oven. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over mozzarella sticks. Place back in oven for 4-5 more minutes. Some sticks may have some cheese ooze out, this is ok, but if you see this happening, it is time to remove them from the oven.
- Serve with a side of marinara sauce if desired.
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by SundaySupper
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Mini Caprese Bites With Balsamic Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Tuna Poke Mochi Waffles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Gluten Free Champagne Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Dijon Pecan Baked Brie Bites by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.