Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are made with whole milk mozzarella cheese, lightly battered with egg and a seasoned panko mixture. These are baked up quickly in the oven for that perfect stringy, cheesy appetizer!
You may wonder what is so fancy about a cheese stick. Well, these are no ordinary cheese sticks. They are very easy to make and turn out just as tasty, if not tastier than those you can buy in the store or get out in a restaurant!
What I love about these homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
These are made with whole milk mozzarella, and seasoned panko crumbs with a little kick and then baked. In my opinion, these are fancy because they are homemade and not store bought! Also, the whole milk mozzarella makes these cheese sticks super stringy and melty. Who doesn’t love that?!
This recipe is really so easy to make. I buy whole milk mozzarella sticks right at Trader Joe’s (it is the only place I have found them). When I get home with them, I put them straight in the freezer until I’m ready to assemble them.
FAQ about this recipe
Yes. As a matter of fact, part-skim cheese sticks may hold up better. They just will not be as stringy.
Yes, you can substitute either. If your low carb, go with the pork rinds for sure. If you do sub bread crumbs, be aware that your coating may not come out as crispy.
Well, this could happen just because it is cheese, and cheese melts! The best way to try and avoid this is to be sure your cheese sticks are frozen when you start, and put them back in the freezer for a while before you bake them. There’s little you can do about this when baking cheeses.
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are Easy to Make
- Assemble your ingredients.
Pull your frozen cheese sticks out of the freezer, whisk your eggs, and measure your panko.
- Batter Cheese Sticks
Dip cheese stick in beaten egg, then dip in panko coating. Repeat. Then lay coated cheese stick on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at
- Bake in 400 degree oven.
Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn cheese sticks over. Bake another 5 minutes. Remove and serve hot.
Tips for making Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- Freeze your mozzarella cheese sticks prior to dipping. Then freeze them again after dipping in egg and panko
- Double dipped in the egg and panko coating, sprayed with cooking spray and bake for only 10 minutes in the oven.
- Save time and make these ahead then freeze until ready to bake and eat!
More recipes for delicious party food!
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce
- Air Fryer BBQ Boneless Chicken Wings
- Baked Chipotle Avocado Fries
- Crispy Baked Sweet Hot Chicken Wings
- Fried Pickles
- 12 sticks whole milk mozzarella cheese sticks, frozen
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a blender or nutra bullet, whiz 3/4 cup panko crumbs, 1 teaspoon garlic powder,1/4 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes for about 10 seconds. Place blended panko bread crumbs in bowl.
- Whisk 2 eggs until well blended.
- Dip mozzarella stick in egg, then dip in panko bread crumbs. Repeat.
- Place mozzarella stick on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Once all mozzarella sticks have been coated, spray with a coating of cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet with mozzarella sticks in the oven. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over mozzarella sticks. Place back in oven for 4-5 more minutes.
- Serve with a side of marinara sauce if desired.
Some sticks may have some cheese ooze out, this is ok, but if you see this happening, it is time to remove them from the oven.
Serving Size:2 mozzarella sticks
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 107mg Sodium: 743mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 17g