Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks are made with whole milk mozzarella cheese, lightly battered with egg and a seasoned panko mixture. These are baked up quickly in the oven for that perfect stringy, cheesy appetizer!
You may wonder what is so fancy about a cheese stick. Well, these are no ordinary cheese sticks. They are very easy to make and turn out just as tasty, if not tastier than those you can buy in the store or get out in a restaurant!
These are made with whole milk mozzarella, and seasoned panko crumbs with a little kick and then baked. In my opinion, these are fancy because they are homemade and not store bought!
This recipe is really so easy to make. I buy whole milk mozzarella sticks right at Trader Joe’s (it is the only place I have found them). When I get home with them, I put them straight in the freezer until I’m ready to assemble them.
I highly suggest using whole milk mozzarella sticks if you can find them. Why? Well, because they are more stringy, and everyone loves a stringy cheese stick, right? If you can’t find them though, don’t worry. Part-skim mozzarella sticks work too! By the way, Double dipping IS allowed! Homemade mozzarella cheese sticks are double dipped in the egg and panko coating, sprayed with cooking spray and baked for only 10 minutes in the oven.
While the crumb coating is not as crispy as you would get if you fried them, it is still tasty. How can anything with gooey, stringy mozzarella cheese not be tasty?!
A total of 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven and you’re ready to enjoy stringy full of flavor appetizers. The best part about this homemade recipe is you can pre-make the mozzarella sticks, freeze them, then bake them in no time flat.
More recipes for delicious party food!
- BLT Crostini Sliders with Avocado Aioli by Casa de Crews
- Easy Caprese Puff Pastry Bites by The Weekend Gourmet
- French Onion Palmiers by Cooking With Carlee
- Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Middle Eastern Deviled Eggs by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mushroom and Blue Cheese Gougeres by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Simple Greek Pinwheels with Tzatziki Dipping Sauce by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Soppressata Puffs by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Baba Ganoush by The Crumby Cupcake
- Baked Fruit and Nut Camembert by SundaySupper
- Caesar Salad Wonton Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cucumber Bites with Creole Shrimp and Guacamole by Life Tastes Good
- Dates with Goat Cheese, Prosciutto and Truffle Honey by Monica’s Table
- Drunken Asparagus with Feta and Prosciutto by Wholistic Woman
- Italian Chicken Meatballs by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Japanese Meatballs by NinjaBaker.com
- Loaded Hasselback Potatoes Mini Size by Crazed Mom
- Mini Caprese Bites With Balsamic Drizzle by My Sweet Savings
- Pork Dumplings by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto and Blue Cheese Pear Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Lime Shrimp Cups by Our Good Life
- Mini Crab Cakes by My Savory Spoon
- Oysters Rockefeller by Caroline’s Cooking
- Scallop Crudo with Citrus by Cricket’s Confections
- Shrimp Martini by Palatable Pastime
- Southwestern Shrimp Spring Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Tuna Poke Mochi Waffles by Brunch-n-Bites
- Gluten Free Champagne Cake Pops by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Loaded Chocolate Dipped Potato Chips by Desserts Required
- Mini S’mores Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cheesecake Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Dijon Pecan Baked Brie Bites by Soulfully Made
- Wine Gummy Bears by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Fries with Basil Dipping Sauce by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Blue Cheese Asparagus Bites by Hardly A Goddess
- Broccoli Pesto Potato Bites by Simple and Savory
- Mushroom Purses by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Roasted Carrot Soup by From the Bookshelf
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 12 sticks whole milk mozzarella cheese sticks frozen
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper flakes
- 2 large eggs beaten
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a blender or nutra bullet, whiz breadcrumbs, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and red pepper.flakes about 10 seconds. Place blended panko bread crumbs in bowl.
Whisk 2 eggs until well blended.
Dip mozzarella stick in egg, then dip in panko bread crumbs. Repeat.
Place mozzarella stick on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Once all mozzarella sticks have been coated, spray with a coating of cooking spray.
Place baking sheet with mozzarella sticks in the oven. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over mozzarella sticks. Place back in oven for 4-5 more minutes.
Serve with a side of marinara sauce if desired.
Some sticks may have some cheese ooze out, this is ok, but if you see this happening, it is time to remove them from the oven.