Nanny’s Sugar Cookies are frosted with a creamy and delicious sweet orange moscato frosting made with CK Mondavi Moscato Wine then sprinkled with sparkling colored sugars. A great cookie to make and share during March Madness (think sugar sprinkles with your team colors) or any other event where you have a gathering of friends!
This post was written as part of the CK Mondavi Ambassador program. All opinions are my own. #CKMondaviGameDay #CKMondaviAmbassador
When I think wine, I usually think cheese. I’m such a cheese fanatic. I am also not normally a sweet wine kind of gal. However, when I opened my bottle of Moscato and taste tested it, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not too sweet. At that first taste, I knew that it would partner well with Nanny’s Sugar Cookies.
Nanny’s cookie recipe was handed down to me, and originally came to Nanny through her mom. So this cookie has been made for a few generations now and has been reinvented with this delicious frosting accent! Whenever I see cookies on the cutting board like this, I remember my Nanny cutting her cookies out and of the days she and I would bake cookies together. Moment of real nostalgia here.
The frosting for these cookies was absolutely divine. The CK Mondavi Moscato Wine worked perfectly in complementing the orange extract in the cookie. These also went really well with a glass of wine on the side! 🙂 These cookies also passed the test of my sweets loving attorney in our office. She gave them the two thumbs up!
I would have loved to have Nanny here with me when making this particular recipe and I know she would have loved getting her fingers into the frosting with me! I had a hard time not wanting to lick the knife I was frosting the cookies with. Well, ok, so I did lick the knife, but not until I was done with frosting. 😉
Find more posts by other CK Mondavi Ambassadors by following the hashtag #CKMondaviAmbassador and be sure to visit the CK Mondavi Ambassador page!
- For the Cookies:
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated orange rind or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- For the Frosting
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 4 tablespoons CK Mondavi Moscato wine
- 3-4 tablespoons half and half
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar, eggs and orange rind and mix until creamy. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Add to wet mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Chill dough for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll dough out onto floured cutting board, using a sprinkling of flour where needed to keep dough from sticking to board and rolling pin.
- Cut cookies with round cookie cutter.
- Bake until slightly brown around the edges, about 10 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, assemble the frosting. Stir together melted butter, confectioner’s sugar, orange extract and moscato wine until combined. Add half and half 1 tablespoon at a time until of spreading consistency. You may or may not need all of the half and half depending on the creaminess you want to obtain.
Pin it! Nanny’s Sugar Cookies with Orange Moscato Frosting