Cheesy Bacon Home Fries are a product of leftover baked potatoes that have been sauteed in a combination of bacon fat and butter then topped with cheese, crumbled bacon, and chives.
Growing up, I always would love when my Mom would make home fries. While as a child, mashed potatoes or baked potatoes weren’t my thing, I was completely infatuated with home fries or french fries. Um, who wouldn’t be, right?
One thing my mom would always do to help bulk up the potatoes some (she was feeding a family of five after all!) would be to add some torn up bread to the diced potatoes.
I add bread to my home fries also, but not because I feel the need to “bulk” the potatoes up. I do it because I fell in love with the really crispy buttery pieces of bread that you would come across as you were eating your potatoes! If your family tends to not eat the heels of the loaf of bread, then this is a great use for them!
Other Bacon Recipes you may love to try!
- 4 cups leftover baked potato, skins on, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 slices bread (preferably the heels)
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 slices bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook bacon in hot skillet until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from pan.
- Add onion to bacon fat and cook over medium heat, 1-2 minutes, until they begin to turn translucent.
- Add butter to onion and let melt and bubble. Place potatoes and bread pieces in skillet with butter and onions. Toss to coat with butter. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Turn heat down to low.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top of potatoes. Top with crumbled bacon. Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve with salt and pepper to taste.
PIN IT – Cheesy Bacon Home Fries