All the flavor without the carbs, this Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole is quick to put together, has great flavor and perfect for those summertime gatherings. Take this to a family reunion with a side of rolls for those who must have them!
I love chili dogs, and let’s face it, I love the bun that goes with them just as much. But, one of the things you have to do to keep yourself in check sometimes, is to limit those things you love. For me, carbs are one of the most addicting foods to put in my face. I’m one for the starchy carbs. You know, things like homemade bread, flour tortillas, pasta. I could go on and on. I love things like cookies, brownies (especially brownies!), and cupcakes too. But they aren’t as tempting to me as a savory carb is.
All of that said, I wasn’t so sure I would enjoy this casserole without the bun. I also wasn’t sure Grumpy would want to eat it without a bun. However, I had no buns in the house. So he had no choice! He ate it and he enjoyed the flavor, but stated it would have been better for him with a biscuit topping! He was definitely in a casserole state of mind when making that comment! I had to remind him that would have added carbs to my low carb casserole! 😉
It all starts with using the #BestBeef you can find. For us, that is Certified Angus Beef® brand. I went 90% lean ground beef sirloin and a low fat turkey hot dog to keep the fat in check.
You layer your casserole by cutting the hot dogs in half and placing in an 8 x 12 inch casserole dish.
Next you bury your hot dogs with your chili mixture.
Top with reduced fat cheddar cheese and chopped onion. Then bake for 20-30 minutes.
Once it is baked, you top with a little more diced onion and chopped cilantro if desired. If you have a die hard carb lover, then you can add a roll for them!
This would be a different type of casserole to take to a family reunion, memorial day or july 4th picnic. Quick, easy, and your friends can serve themselves on a plate or in a bun!
- 1 package (8 hot dogs) low fat turkey hot dogs
- 1 lb 90% lean Certified Angus Beef, ground sirloin
- 1 cup diced onion, divided
- 2 large cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, diced (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute (or 2 tablespoons regular brown sugar)
- 1 cup tomato or pasta sauce (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershihre sauce
- 1 can (15 oz) chili beans in chili sauce
- 3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, chopped for topping (optional)
- Diced onion for topping (optional)
- Brown the ground beef, garlic, 1/2 cup of the onion and the jalapeno pepper in large frying pan over medium high heat until very soft and tender. Drain off any fat from the pan.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire, tomato sauce and beans. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Arrange hot dogs on the bottom of a baking dish. Cover with chili, scatter with cheese and top with remaining diced onion.
- Bake at 400 F until hot and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped onion and cilantro if desired.
If jalapeno peppers are too hot for you, substitute a 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper.
Feel free to use plain tomato sauce or pasta sauce. I used Prego's Marketplace Roasted Garlic pasta sauce in my recipe.
Pin it! Low Carb Chili Dog Casserole