This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #InspireWithCheese
Pastry Wrapped Cheesy Cocktail Franks are the appetizer to have on your table for the holidays. Full of cheesy flavor in the dough and a cheesy surprise in the center of the frank, these are Grumpy’s very favorite appetizer!
This year I decided to make these little appetizers fit into our low carb lifestyle and made a my own version of a low carb dough with cheese and almond flour. Kaukauna® Cheese Spread Cups were the perfect choice to add to my dough! It gave the dough a distinctly cheesy flavor!
I wanted these little bites to be really cheesy, so I decided I would not only put some of the cheese in the dough I was going to wrap the cocktail franks in, but I would also stuff the franks with the Kaukauna Cheddar Cheese Spread. Just a little slice of jalapeno was added to a few of these before wrapping the franks in the dough. I can’t resist a little heat in my food and the cheese and jalapeno go so well together.
Making the dough on your own is not hard at all! It comes together very quickly, is very easy to handle and is made in mere minutes using the microwave!
There is no yeast, so no rising, and because the main ingredient is cheese, it is very pliable!
For this recipe I bought the Kaukauna® Spreadable Cheddar Cheese in the cup, however you can also find it as cheese logs or balls. Made with 100% cheddar, Kaukauna can be served on it’s own or as a part of a recipe like the one I’ve shared with you here! You can find out more about their cheese by visiting their website.
Now for the exciting news! You have a chance to win prizes through a Kaukauna® sweepstakes, by sharing a pre-written tweet, visiting the social hub, visit Kaukauna®’s Facebook page, or visit Kaukauna®’s Pinterest page!
Four lucky winners will win an “entertaining basket” that includes a $250 Visa gift card, apron, oven mitt, kitchen towel, Kaukauna® cheeseboard, and serving platter. Ten lucky winners will receive a $100 Visa gift card, and fifteen lucky winners will receive either a $25 Visa gift card, a Kaukauna® cheeseboard, and an oven mitt or apron! Sweepstakes entry dates are 11/15/2017 12:00am ET to 12/31/2017 11:59pm ET. Click to see Official Rules
In the meantime, grab this Ibotta offer and try this recipe for Pastry Wrapped Cheesy Cocktail Franks! Save on any Kaukauna® Cheese product from 11/15/17 til 12/31/17 (or until offer expires).
- 1 -13 oz. package cocktail franks
- Kaukauna Cheese Spread for filling franks with 1/3 cup set aside for dough
- 1-3/4 cups processed almond flour
- 1-1/2 cups part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove franks from package and cut down the center of the frank to form a slit. Do not cut entirely through the frank. Place about 1 teaspoon cheese spread in center of frank. Repeat with all franks. Set aside.
- To make your dough place your mozzarella cheese along with the cream cheese into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute. Remove the bowl and stir the cheese mixture. Return it to the microwave and cook it for about 30-45 seconds and stir again.
- Next add in your beaten eggs, the almond flour, garlic, and salt to the melted cheeses. Stir the dough mixture well until all your ingredients are well combined and it looks like a well formed dough ball. It will be a stiff dough.
- Cut the roll of dough in half and roll 1/2 of the dough out onto a board floured lightly with almond flour. Cut into 1/2 inch strips. If dough sticks to the board, it's ok. Just roll the dough strip with your hands and it will come back together. Wrap each frank with dough and place on baking sheet.
- Bake pastry wrapped franks for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, Let cool slightly before transferring to serving platter. Makes 42 cocktail franks.
Pin it! Pastry Wrapped Cheesy Cocktail Franks!