Recently I had the sudden urge to stuff a burger with all kinds of yumminess. We bought a new grill last week and that probably had something to do with my desire to make burgers – not to mention the weather has been more like summer than spring! I did a search and came up with a recipe from Allrecipes – Easy Bacon, Onion, and Cheese Stuffed Burgers. I read the ingredients and thought it sounded flavorful enough and even though there is BBQ sauce in the burger itself (shhh, don’t let Grumpy know) I thought I would try it. I mean, if he can’t SEE the sauce IN the burger, who’s to know, right?
Now, those who read my blog on a regular basis know that we basically live off venison in this house. Grumpy is a big ole hunter (reminding me of Katypi, a friend from a cooking forum, and her Ole Earl comments – who by the way loved this burger also!) who fills our freezer every year since we have been together – so I guess he’s also a big ole accomplished hunter! LOL. Grumpy gets the credit for actually grilling these….I only put them together, but he is the one who cooked them to perfection! SO, I made these burgers with ground venison. I swear, either I’ve gotten used to the taste of venison, or the ingredients in this burger hid the venison “flavor” really well!
Beef burgers stuffed with bacon, onion, and cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter or bacon fat
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 hamburger buns (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, black pepper, barbecue sauce and garlic.
- Portion into 12 burger patties.
- Lay patties out on a cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap; place patties in the refrigerator.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Stir in the onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until translucent and just beginning to brown. Stir the cooked crumbled bacon to the onions and set aside.
- Prepare a grill or large skillet for medium
- As the grill heats, pull beef patties out of the refrigerator; top 6 of
the patties evenly with the bacon and onion mixture,
top each patty with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Place remaining burger patties on top of each burger with filling mixture and press the edges together to seal the filling inside.
- Grill or pan fry the stuffed and sealed patties until cooked through to your preference.
*Nutrition information does not include burger bun.
Chris suggests that next time I make these I mix the bacon into the burger instead of stuffing it.
Amount Per Serving Calories 505Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 141mgSodium 590mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 41g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.