Moist and delicious, these Lemon Poppyseed Muffins have a burst of jam in the center that matches perfectly with the bold lemon flavor in the muffin. These muffins make a great on the go breakfast with your cup of joe as you head out the door to work!
I admit it, I am addicted to muffins! In Dorie Greenspan’s Baking cookbook she has quite a few different muffin recipes. This morning I decided that I would make a batch to take over to my parents to give to my brother Steve’s family for their trip home. I have totally fallen in love with this cookbook. I love the fact that Dorie gives you hints and tips and also gives you ideas to “mix it up” some and make the product more special!
From this cookbook, I learned that you can really bring the flavor of lemon out in the recipe by rubbing the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers!
While rubbing the sugar and zest together you will be confronted with this amazing aroma!
When making these, you can put your favorite flavor jam in the center. I love blueberry while Grumpy loves red raspberry!
These muffins are good stored at least up to 3 days (how long they lasted in our house anyway!). I kept mine in an airtight container on my counter (did not refrigerate).
*If you made this recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, please give them a star rating*
Lemon flavored muffins speckled with poppy seeds and a delicious jam filling.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 6 tablespoons Jam
For the Icing
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of lemon is strong.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir to blend. Do not over stir!
- Fill the muffin tin half full with better. Place 1-1/2 teaspoons blueberry jam in center of each muffin cup.
- Divide the remaining batter evenly among the muffin cups over top of the jam.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Transfer pan to a cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely, then glaze with icing.
Amount Per Serving Calories 301Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 60mgSodium 173mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 26gProtein 4g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.