These Mango Cardamom Muffins are individual breakfast treats of delicious muffin batter that enrobes sweet ripe mango pieces and is scented with ground cardamom. They make a great weekend breakfast, or a portable breakfast or snack throughout the week.
I love how easy it is to whip up a batch of these Mango Cardamom Muffins. The fresh mango is so delicious and so sweet that it made perfect sense to dice one up and mix it into a cardamom flavored batter.
The path to making these Mango Cardamom Muffins
Lately, I have been enjoying a Mango Lassi in the mornings. So I started thinking about other ways I could enjoy the sweet, delicious mango.
I had recently made a danish recipe that had cardamon in it for one of our Darin Baker Challenges. I decided that I would pair the mango and the cardamom and try to make a muffin of sorts. The flavors just seemed to me that they would go well together.
I had also successfully made these delicious Sesame Cardamom Chews and Banana Cake Cookies that are flavored with Cardamom, and realized it was a spice I really enjoyed. I loved the idea of using it in a muffin. So, Mango Cardamom Muffins made a kitchen debut!
What you need to make this muffin recipe
Mangos: Be sure the mango you use is ripe. To tell if the mano is ripe enough to use, just gently squeeze it in your hands. It should give a little. If it doesn’t give, then it is not ready to use.
Muffin Pan: A 12 cup muffin pan is great. Personally, I still love my old fashioned non-stick muffin pan. However, I still use paper liners when using it. You can opt for a silicone muffin pan also and skip the liners.
Ground Cardamom: this spice is a nice spice to have around, and you won’t need a lot of it. However, it goes great in other recipes like this Mango Cardamom Muffin.
Paper Liners: If you are using paper liners, there are two things to remember. Food can still stick to paper liners. So, if you make these muffins and use liners, be sure to either spray the paper liners with cooking spray or use a non-stick parchment paper liner.
Tips for a successful Mango Cardamom Muffin Recipe
- Dice the mango into tiny pieces and when adding it to the flour mixture, make sure to add any juice that has released from the mango.
- When measuring the flour, lightly spoon the flour into the measuring cup and then level it with a knife. Do no tap the cup. You don’t want the flour to pack into the cup. This will make your muffin heavy.
- Don’t overmix the muffin batter. Mix only until the wet and dry ingredients have just combined.
Other recipes you may enjoy with cardamom
This Strawberry Rhubarb Tart is lightly spiced and oh so delicious! It makes a great dessert, but I have also been known to eat this for breakfast!
Grumpy loves pears, and this Warm Pear Cobbler is a perfect recipe to pair with Cardamom.
*If you made these Mango Cardamom Muffins, please give them a star rating*
A muffin full of delicious sweet mango complimented with the warm and sweet cardamom spice.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup chopped peeled ripe mango
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Stir in the mango.
- Whisk together almond milk, lemon juice, butter, vanilla, and egg. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist (batter will be stiff).
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° F for 23 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in the center.
- Remove muffins from pans, and cool completely on a wire rack.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 234mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.