This Peanut Blossoms cookie recipe is made with shortening, peanut butter, and a combination of white and brown sugar. These peanut butter cookies are rolled in sugar and then baked until puffy and browned. The final touch is a chocolate Hershey Kiss on top!
Peanut Blossoms are a great recipe that his fun to make with the kids and even more fun to eat! These are a delicious afternoon snack idea, or to enjoy after dinner for dessert. They also make great cookies for holiday cookie trays.
Making cookies that my picky eater will love
My Grumpy hubby is a super picky eater. Sometimes I dread the question “what are you making?” Anytime I am making something, I always have him in mind and whether he will like the end product.
When I first made these Peanut Blossoms, Grumpy was convinced they were going to be crunchy because they were peanut butter. However, these peanut butter cookies are soft and slightly chewy. His first cookie convinced him they weren’t a hard cookie and he couldn’t leave them alone.
What you need to make these Peanut Blossoms
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
Basic ingredients you need to be sure you have.
Creamy Peanut Butter: Be sure the peanut butter you use is not all natural. This is my preferred brand to use.
Vegetable Shortening: This is an important part of the recipe and I don’t recommend you substitute anything for it. This is the brand I use.
Granulated Sugar: This is in the cookie and what you roll the peanut butter cookie dough ball in.
Brown Sugar: This is part of what makes the cookie chewy!
Hershey Kisses: They won’t be a peanut blossom unless you use a Hershey Kiss. I used milk chocolate kisses.
Cookie Baking Tips
- Use an insulated baking sheet. It will allow heat to distribute evenly while baking the peanut butter blossoms.
- Use a silpat or parchment paper to prevent cookies from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Cool the peanut blossoms completely on a cooling rack before storing. The heat from the baked cookie will soften the chocolate.
- Be sure the peanut butter and the shortening are at room temperature.
- Unwrap the Hershey kisses either before you mix the cookie dough, or while the cookies are baking
Make these cookies your way
- Use a different flavored hershey kiss. We have used dark chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate hugs.
- Leave the Hershey kiss out of the recipe and stir 1 cup of chocolate chips into the batter.
- Substitute chunky peanut butter for the creamy peanut butter.
- Make these with cookie butter instead of peanut butter.
Other peanut butter cookie recipes you may enjoy
No Bake Fudge Cookies are full of chocolate and peanut butter flavor and taste just like fudge.
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies are gluten free, with crispy edges and a chewy center.
Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies are crispy, chewy, and coated in delicious chocolate.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies have a touch of almond extract and are a thick and chewy cookie with crisp edges.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies have a chocolate peanut butter cookie dough with peanut butter chips. This is for the total chocolate peanut butter fan!
White Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies is Grumpy’s favorite peanut butter cookie recipe. Give him white chocolate and he’ll love you forever.
Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies are similar to the no bake fudge cookies but without the chocolate.
*If you made this Peanut Blossoms cookie recipe, please give it a star rating*
A soft peanut butter cookie with a chocolate kiss in the center.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar (optional)
- 48 Hershey Kisses
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar (if using) on a plate and roll the cookie dough in the sugar to coat. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes or until peanut blossoms are lightly golden brown.
- Immediately press a chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. The cookie will crack around edges when the kiss is pressed into the center.
- Remove from the cookie sheet to a cooling rack and cool completely before storing.
Amount Per Serving Calories 96Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 6mgSodium 74mgCarbohydrates 10gFiber 0gSugar 6gProtein 2g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.