Crispy General Tso’s Tofu, pieces of tofu coated in a cornstarch coating and fried until extra crispy! It is then smothered in a sweet spicy sauce. This recipe is so addicting and delicious you may eat the entire recipe all by yourself!
That is how it was with this recipe and to his own surprise, he really liked it! This sauce is incredibly delicious and we really loved how crispy the tofu was. The sweet heat in the glaze is really addicting and hard to stop eating. The texture was completely changed by the cornstarch coating making the tofu pieces super crispy!
Crispy General Tso’s Tofu – Pin it!
I’m glad that Grumpy is not so shy about eating tofu anymore and that he will request this General Tso’s Tofu often! He always prefers that the tofu is crispy in any of the dishes I make when he “knows” it is tofu I am making, however, I will admit I have been able to fool him a few times! When it comes to this recipe however, I always have to double my it because one recipe is not enough for the two of us!
Other tofu recipes below that are on my blog and you should try!
Crispy General Tso's Tofu, pieces of tofu coated in a cornstarch coating and fried until extra crispy! It is then smothered in a sweet spicy sauce. This recipe is so addicting and delicious you may eat the entire recipe all by yourself!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3-4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend
- 3 tbsps Hoisin Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 4 spring green onions, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (use to taste)
- Squeeze tofu of excess water by placing between a thickness (I use about 3-4 thick paper towels folded about 3-4 times) of paper towels and sitting a heavy pan on top. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
- While waiting for tofu to be squeezed dry, mix together the first 6 ingredients and set aside. (I added my chili peppers to the sauce mix before I sat it aside)
- To prepare tofu for frying, slice into 1/2" slices, then cut each slice into thirds. Coat lightly with cornstarch and fry in a shallow frying pan with olive oil until browned and crispy. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel and add sesame oil with onions and chopped ginger. Fry about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer about 2 minutes. Add tofu back to mixture, toss to coat. Serve garnished with green onion tops chopped.
Nutrition analysis done via myfitnesspal. Use at your own discretion. Carbs: 40g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 11g