Crispy General Tso’s Tofu is a simple vegetarian Chinese recipe coated in a delicious sweet and spicy sauce. This recipe uses extra-firm tofu that is crisped up with a cornstarch coating and fried in a small amount of oil before tossing it in your sauce. We love this recipe and it is so addicting. It’s so delicious you may want to eat the entire recipe all by yourself!
When we have this meal, I usually do not serve it with anything else. We like it so much, that we don’t feel the need for anything to go along beside it. As a matter of fact, we are known to make this just two servings and call it our main meal for the day.
Tips for making Crispy General Tso’s Tofu
- Make sure you have pressed your tofu really well to remove as much water as possible. The better it is pressed, the easier it will be to crisp it up.
- Use only a thin layer of cornstarch to coat each piece of tofu. You only a little bit to make the exterior of the tofu crispy.
- Use a good non stick frying pan (affiliate link). This will eliminate your need for a lot of oil when frying your tofu. A little oil will go a long way in a really good pan.
- The tofu may tend to stick together when cooking. This is ok, you can easily break it apart with a fork or spatula when turning the pieces.
What about the chili peppers in General Tso’s Tofu?
When I have them, I will add whole dried Schezuan chili peppers. These are my favorite peppers to use and the pepper that you normally will see in a General Tso’s meal you may buy from a restaurant. If you don’t have the whole peppers, regular red pepper chili flakes work just as good! I always recommend you add less heat to start and then add more as you desire.
Let me know if you make and enjoy this recipe! I would love to know how it turns out for you!
Pin and share Crispy General Tso’s Tofu
I make two other recipes regularly with tofu, Mom’s Scrambled Tofu, and Marinated Tofu Salad. In both of these recipes, the tofu is soft. The Scrambled Tofu is more like scrambled egg texture where the marinated tofu is more cheese like. However, I did trick him and he thought the tofu in the salad was actually cheese!
Are you looking for more crispy tofu recipes? Check out the links below and give them a try also!
For the Tofu
- 2-1lb bricks extra firm tofu
- 3-4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
For the Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Truvia Brown Sugar Blend (adjust to taste)
- 3 tbsps Hoisin Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Reduced Sugar Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 4 spring green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 5-7 whole dried chili peppers or 1/2 to 1 tablespoon chili pepper flakes (use to taste)
- Squeeze tofu of excess water by placing between a thickness of paper towels and sitting a heavy pan on top. I use about 3-4 thick paper towels folded about 3-4 times. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
- While waiting for tofu to be squeezed dry, mix together the first 6 ingredients and set aside. (I added my chili peppers to the sauce mix before I sat it aside)
- To prepare tofu for frying, slice into 1/2" slices, then cut each slice into thirds. Coat lightly with cornstarch and fry in a shallow frying pan with olive oil until browned and crispy. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel and add sesame oil with onions and chopped ginger. Fry about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer about 2 minutes. Add tofu back to mixture, toss to coat. Serve garnished with green onion tops chopped.
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs
Lee Kum Kee Hoisin Sauce, 36 Ounce
Truvia Brown Sugar Blend, Mix of Natural Stevia Sweetener and Brown Sugar, 18 oz Bag
Heinz Reduced Sugar Ketchup, 13 oz (Pack of 2)(packaging may vary)
THREE SQUIRRELS Szechuan Whole Dried Chilies, Chinese Dried Red Chili Peppers, Making Hot Chili Oil and Sichuan Chongqing Hotpot, Premium Quality, 4 oz.
Cuisinart GG-12 GreenGourmet Hard-Anodized Nonstick 12-Piece Cookware Set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 822mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 10g Protein: 22g