Grilled Tomato and Brie Sandwiches make good use of your summer produce! Fresh tomato slices and green arugula pair nicely with this ripe and soft cheese.
Cooking Light has always been one of my favorite magazines. Many recipes here on my blog are from CL. It is important to me to be able to make delicious food that is lighter in fat and has fewer calories. Over the years, CL has progressed to a point where most every recipe I try is a winner. I love how you use real food and have amazing flavor results.
I have been visiting Val’s blog since I started blogging. Over the months Val and I have periodically corresponded and found we have a bit in common from family names to geography! Val may be in British Columbia today, but she did used to live on the other (Canadian) side from where I currently live in New York State!
Right after Val and I decided to do our week of Cooking Light recipes I was contacted by Aaron of Magsdirect.com asking if I would be interested in giving away a Cooking Light Subscription. Perfect! This was meant to be! I emailed Aaron right back telling him that I was very interested and that starting Sunday, June 7 my friend Val and I would be doing a week of Cooking Light posts…..how appropriate! Aaron responded that it sounded perfect and that he would give away 3 subscriptions!
So, this is what you need to do to enter! Leave no more than one comment on my blog and Val’s Blog each day we have a Cooking Light post this week. Tomorrow Val will be posting, so make sure to visit her and leave a comment for an entry. At the end of the week we will do a drawing to choose our winners. The contest will end by Saturday, June 13, 2009 at midnight. (GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED)
Val and I decided to start out with this scrumptious grilled sandwich from the current issue of Cooking Light. I searched high and low (yet again!) and ended up finding arugula at our local co-op. I think I have decided to just start there from now on! When your grill this sandwich, make sure you keep a close eye on it. I totally charred my first one!
- 8 (1-ounce) slices 100% whole-grain bread (about 1/4 inch thick) (I used Naan bread I found reduced at the co-op!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 teaspoons country-style Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups packaged baby arugula and spinach greens (I only used arugula)
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices beefsteak tomato
- Cooking spray (I didn’t bother with this)
- Prepare grill to high heat.Brush one side of each bread slice with oil; rub cut sides of garlic over oil. Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each of 4 bread slices, oil side down. Top each bread slice with 1 ounce cheese, 1/3 cup greens, and 2 tomato slices. Top each with remaining 4 bread slices, oil side up.Place sandwiches on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 2 minutes on each side or until lightly toasted and cheese melts.