This light and delicious Vegetarian Minestrone Soup is a tomato based broth full of vegetables, cannellini beans, and pasta. This soup recipe makes a great lunch option, or the beginning to a main meal.
Homemade soup recipes
With fall coming I decided I a Vegetarian Minestrone soup would be a good order of the day. The recipe I picked was easy and used ingredients most of us already have in our pantry. I know you are all wondering – since you chose a Vegetarian Minestrone – did Grumpy eat it and if he did, did he like it?
The answer is yes and yes. He and I both agree that it needed more salt but other than needing more salt it turned out really well. I also realize that saltiness is a matter of taste and I think you should make the recipe as it is stated and only add salt to taste after it is done.
What you need to make this Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
Fresh Vegetables: I used zucchini, onion, celery, carrots, and tomatoes.
Legumes: I used Cannellini Beans, however you can use any type of canned bean you have in your pantry.
Dried Pasta: The best pasta for this recipe is Ditalini pasta, which is a tiny tubular pasta.
Spices: You will need dried basil, dried oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
Substitutions you can make for this soup recipe
- Substitute any small pasta for the ditalini pasta. Small shells or elbow macaroni would work well.
- Use 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes
- Substitute 1 tablespoon fresh basil and 1 tablespoon fresh oregano in place of the dried herbs.
- Use any canned bean you like in place of the cannellini beans. Kidney beans, navy beans, or black eyed peas all are great in this soup.
Other Soup Recipes you may enjoy
Spicy Asian Chicken Soup is a favorite in our home. We love the Asian flavor and spicy combo.
Low Carb Spicy Shrimp Tortilla Soup is a delicious soup recipe that is full of shrimp and Mexican flavors
Green Bean Soup is made with garden fresh vegetables and a buttery milk based broth.
French Onion Soup is packed full of beef broth and onions with a delicious melted cheese topping.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is guaranteed to make you feel better!
Spiced Lentil Tomato Soup is another vegetarian soup recipe that is slightly spicy and so satisfying.
*If you made this Vegetarian Minestrone Soup, please give it a star rating*
A delicious vegetarian lunch option, this tomato based soup is full of veggies and pasta.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup drained canned cannellini beans
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup uncooked ditalini
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add water and next 10 ingredients (water through garlic); bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 minutes.
- Add pasta; cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 205Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 2mgSodium 504mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 8gSugar 8gProtein 9g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.