This Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole is a family favorite recipe. We always made this as a side dish recipe during the holidays. It’s one of those old-fashioned recipes that is easy to make ahead and reheat later. This retro recipe is the best broccoli casserole recipe!.
This Best Broccoli Casserole makes a perfect holiday side dish or a one-pot meal. We make it with cream of celery and mushroom soup base, and fresh broccoli florets in place of frozen. Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole is a retro vegetable side dish recipe that our family loves and will request often!
Why I make Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
This casserole comes with a lot of memories. Every time I make it I remember my mom, Nanny, or Aunt making this side dish recipe for a holiday meal. The entire family loved this casserole. And, it was one way to get broccoli in our diet!
Grumpy and I love this casserole. It is pure comfort food to eat it with its creamy, cheesy flavor. While it is not the healthiest of recipes, I decided to freshen it up by using fresh veggies rather than frozen. This is a great recipe that brings back many childhood memories and that feel-good comfort food feeling!
How to make Best Broccoli Casserole
Cook the minute rice according to directions and steam the broccoli florets. Cube the Velveeta cheese and set it aside.
In a mixing bowl, toss together the broccoli and cooked rice. Melt butter in the microwave. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring once every 30 seconds, for 2-3 minutes.
Add the soup, cream, and Velveeta cheese into the broccoli and rice mixture and stir to combine.
Place broccoli rice and cheese mixture in the casserole dish and bake in the oven.
Remove from the oven. Let cool for 10-15 minutes and serve.
Tips for making this Best Broccoli Casserole
- Don’t skip the canned soup. It’s a convenience and is in this recipe to save time. However, if you really want to make your own soup, go for it!
- It’s easy to buy pre-cut broccoli, toss it in the steamer and use in this recipe. You will have more of a bite to the broccoli than if you used mushy frozen broccoli.
- Swap out the white rice with brown rice. I still used minute rice – another part of the retro convenience of this recipe!
- Thin the soup out with some sour cream, milk, or half and half.
Easy to make with microwave prep!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
I used my microwave to prep the rice and vegetables for this recipe. It saved me time and dirty dishes! The microwave steamer is perfect for steaming the broccoli in this recipe as well as any other vegetables I want to steam.
The microwave makes prep for this recipe easy. After the broccoli is steamed, drain the water from the bottom of the steamer. Then, use the bottom of the steamer to mix the rest of the ingredients together.
Variations to this recipe
- Some will prefer a cheese sauce in this recipe. To accomplish this, melt the Velveeta prior to adding it to the baking dish. I recommend adding the soup to the Velveeta before microwaving to avoid clumping.
- Substitute the cream of celery soup for cream of chicken soup.
- Stir in some shredded cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese for additional flavor and cheesiness!
- Add 2 cups of cooked chicken or ham to the recipe and make it a main dish casserole.
- Substitute a combination of broccoli and cauliflower in place of the broccoli.
- Add some cooked carrots for more of a cheesy vegetable casserole recipe.
- Lighten the recipe up some by using low-fat cheese and fat-free half and half.
Other Cheese Recipes you may like
Everyone loves cheesy casserole dishes. They are comfort food that makes everyone happy! Some of our favorite casserole recipes are listed below. I think you will love them too!
Cheesy Sweet-Hot Peppers and Corn is a slow cooker recipe that brings you a blend of sweet heat flavors that is full of cheesy goodness!
This Cheesy Orzo Pasta with Basil recipe is a classic pasta side dish with simple flavors. The fresh basil really pops in this recipe and it is one of our favorites!
If you want some real super delicious comfort food, then try Caramelized Onion Mashed Red Potatoes with Cheese. The caramelized onions with the cheese makes these potatoes a fabulous cheesy dish!
I love to Cheesy Mashed Baked Potatoes for Sunday supper or on any special holiday occasion. The addition of cheese makes everyone happy!
Easy BBQ Cheddar Meatloaves may not be a casserole, but they are full of cheese and have a sweet barbecue tang and are absolutely delicious
What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating in the recipe card!*
For the Rice:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Minute Rice (Brown)
For the Veggies:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 6 cups broccoli , roughly chopped
For the Casserole:
- 1 10-3/4 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 10-3/4 oz condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup light cream (or half and half)
- 1-1/4 cup Velveeta cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make rice in microwave according to package instructions using 1 cup water and salt.
- Steam broccoli in microwave steamer basket for 5 minutes, or until just fork tender. Place broccoli in mixing bowl and set aside.
- Place butter, onion, and celery in covered, microwave safe bowl, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until onions and celery are softened and butter is melted.
- Add to the broccoli in the mixing bowl: rice, cooked onion and celery mixture. Toss to combine.
- Add both cans of soup to mixture along with light cream and diced Velveeta cheese.
- Bake casserole for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes prior to serving.
15g Fat, 22g Carbs, 3g Fiber, 8g Protein
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1/6th of recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250