These Apple Cheesecake Empanadas are made with wonton wrappers that have been filled with an apple cheesecake filling then fried to crispy perfection. A delicious, quick and easy to make dessert recipe your family will love!
Apple Cheesecake Empanadas are slightly reminiscent of a cheesecake factory recipe that my former daughter-in-law used to enjoy. These fried apple cheesecake pies are just the perfect touch to end dinner. They are not too big and not too sweet.
Why I made this recipe
My former daughter-in-law loved Cheesecake Factory. When this recipe was first shared on Grumpy’s Honeybunch, I myself had never eaten at the restaurant. Mainly, because it was not a local place for us. The closest one to us was over 2 hours away in Syracuse!
Since it was such a loved recipe, Kristina decided she wanted to make this at home. She was so excited about it that I received a message that I had to go right over so I could try it! This is how it also happened to become a recipe on my website!
A new family recipe
This recipe for Apple Cheesecake Empanadas is now a family recipe on file and one that will be made for years to come. Family recipes are so important to my family and me and putting them here on my website is my way of preserving them for years to come for my children.
I am very happy that Kristina shared this recipe with me and allowed me to post it! Now, if the craving hits for a crispy fried pie after we have had our dinner of Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce, then we have a go to recipe for it!
What you need to make Apple Cheesecake Empanadas
You also need fresh apples for this recipe. I like to use the HoneyCrisp apple for this recipe. HoneyCrisp Apples are a nice crispy apple with great flavor. You can cook them down and they will still have “bite” to them, making them perfect for this recipe.
However, if you want to take a shortcut, and use apple pie filling, that that is also completely acceptable! I have a recipe for my Mom’s Homemade Apple Pie in a Jar that works perfectly in this recipe.
Tips for making Apple Cheesecake Empanadas
- These Apple Cheesecake Empanadas can be made in a couple of different ways. I tend to like to mix the apple pie filling into the cheesecake filling. However, you can also add the filling separately to the empanadas. Either way will work fine.
- An Empanada Press will make them easier to assemble. However, it is not required to have one. You can simply place some filling in the wonton wrapper, fold it over, and seal with a little bit of water, pinching the edges together with your fingers.
- You want to be sure you have a good seal on the wonton wrapper. If you don’t get a good seal, you could end up with filling bursting out into the hot oil when cooking.
Storing the Empanadas
Apple Cheesecake Empanadas are easy to make ahead and freeze. Then you can pull them straight from the freezer and into the deep fryer when the craving hits. This is my preferred way to store extras that I know will not be eaten. This way, you get a freshly fried pie every time the craving hits.
If you decide to fry them all at once and do have leftovers, you should store them in the refrigerator or freezer. They can easily be reheated in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes, or in the microwave for just a few seconds. I recommend the oven method over the microwave for reheating although both ways work.
Have you made this recipe? I would love you to rate it in the recipe card below!
- 1 package (8 oz) Philly Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Macintosh Apples
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- Eggroll wrappers
- 2 cups Oil for frying
- Cook apples with butter until soft. Stir in brown sugar and cook until sugar has dissolved. Cool completely.
- Blend together 8 oz cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup sour cream, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Combine cream cheese mixture with apple filling.
- Place eggroll wrapper on empanada maker. If you don't an empanada maker you can cut eggroll wrapper into large circles and use a small amount of water when sealing.
- Place approximately 1 tablespoons of filling on one side of wrapper and fold to cover filling.
- Deep fry in oil heated to 350 degrees until brown. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Serving Size:2 empanadas
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 4mg Sodium: 13mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Protein: 0g