Banana Cake is full of banana flavor with fresh blueberries between the cake layers. The banana cake is moist with a slightly dense crumb and oh so delicious. It is then frosted with a delicious and creamy Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting full of fresh lemon juice and citrus zest. The finishing touch is more fresh blueberries to decorate the top and edges of the cake!
This banana cake is a perfect birthday cake or just any day dessert. I like to serve it in the spring, which is why I happened to make it for my mom’s birthday, which is also in the spring! The citrus flavor in the frosting compliments the banana cake, making it a great pairing.
Banana Cake for Mom’s Birthday
I made this particular Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting for my Mom’s birthday in 2010! I just love the photo below of her all smiles and holding her birthday cake! It is a well known fact with my family that I love blueberry and lemon combination. After all, my favorite cookie of all time is my soft and tender recipe for Blueberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze!
This Banana Cake and citrus flavored icing goes well with just about any fruit. I have made it with blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries. I’m pretty sure strawberries would go well also! The original recipe is a Cooking Light recipe that I have slightly adapted to make my own. It is not only delicious, but can really be a showstopper for a birthday dessert and is one of my favorite banana cake recipes!
Common questions on how to frost a cake
A crumb layer is a thin layer of icing spread onto your cake layer. Once this layer has been added to your banana cake, it is refrigerated to firm the frosting up. Then, when you add the last frosting layer, you will not have crumbs in your final coat.
If you don’t care that your cake has crumbs in the icing, then no. The crumb layer is basically a visual, to make the cake more pleasing to the eye.
You can, however if you want a pretty cake, the best type of frosting utensil to use is an angled icing spatula. The angle in the spatula makes it easy to go around the cake and gives it a smoother look.
How to perfectly frost this Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Time needed: 45 minutes.
The easiest way to perfectly frost a this Banana Cake!
- Add a crumb coat to your first cake layer
Place your first banana cake layer on the cake plate and place a thin layer of frosting using a large angled icing spatula.
- Add blueberries to top of first cake layer
After icing your first layer, place a layer of blueberries on top.
- Place top layer
Take the unfrosted top layer of cake and place it on top of the bottom layer.
- Add crumb coat to top layer
Using your cake spatula, add a crumb coat to the top layer and sides of your cake. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Add last frosting layer
Remove cake from refrigerator, add last layer of frosting and decorate with blueberries as desired.
You may need
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
What’s new? Check out my Grumpy’s Honeybunch Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of Grumpy’s Honeybunch!
More Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
Waffled French Toast with Meyer Lemon Maple Syrup
A basic french toast recipe made in the waffle iron and served up with some citrus infused maple syrup!Continue Reading
Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas #SundaySupper
These simple Meyer lemon margaritas are a refreshing change to the usual cocktail. Meyer lemons add a subtle but delicious flavor you are sure to love.Continue Reading
Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe
This copycat recipe is pretty easy to make and bursting with tangy lemon flavor.Continue Reading
The Best Lemon Bars Recipe
The buttery shortbread crust is topped with a thick, luscious layer of citrus for a sublime treat!Continue Reading
Rustic Pound Cake with Meyer Maple Glaze
A dense cake with a close crumb full of lemon flavor and drizzled with a glaze made with Meyer Lemon infused maple syrup.Continue Reading
For the Cake:
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 package (8 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
To prepare the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with parchment paper then spray with a light coat of cooking spray.
- Place granulated sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl. Using hand mixer, beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.Lightly spoon 1-3/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine greek yogurt, water, banana, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture (mix after each addition just until blended).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake cake at 350° for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
- Peel off parchment paper. Cool layers completely on wire rack.
To prepare frosting:
- Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, lemon rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and dash of salt in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended.Place 1 cake layer on a plate, and spread with 1/3 cup frosting.
- Arrange blueberries in a single layer over frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Decorate top of cake with more blueberries if desired. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Serving Size:1/16th of cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 162mg Carbohydrates: 50g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 37g Protein: 4g