- 2-3/4 cups all purpose flour, plus a little extra for rolling the tortillas
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup very warm tap water
- Combine flour and shortening in a large mixing bowl. Work the shortening in with your fingers until completely incorporated.
- Dissolve the salt in the water and pour about 2/3 cup of it over the dry ingredients. Immediately work it in with a fork. The dough will be in large clumps. If all the dry ingredients haven't been dampened, add the rest of the liquid.
- Scoop the dough onto your work surface and knead until smooth.Divide the dough into 12 portions and roll each into a ball. Set them on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and let rest at least 30 minutes.
- Heat an ungreased griddle over medium to medium-high heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough into a 7-inch circle. Flatten a ball of dough, flour it, then roll forward and back across it, rotating a sixth of a turn and roll forward and back again. Continue until it is a 7 inch circle. Flour tortilla as needed while rolling.
- Lay the tortilla on the hot griddle. After 30-45 seconds, when brown splotches show underneath, flip it over. cook another 30-45 seconds more, until other side is browned. Do not overcook or the tortilla will become crisp.
- Remove and wrap in a cloth napkin. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and stack them on top of each other.
- Note, cook time is PER tortilla and is approximate. Go by the way it looks more than you go by time.
Pin it! Homemade Flour Tortillas