Reminiscent of chili dogs from my childhood Dairy Queen visits! Buried in chili and covered with cheese and onions, Chili Cheese Dogs
are easy to make delicious dinner treat for your family!
I also remember eating Chili Cheese Dogs at A&W when I used to live right smack behind one! This has always been one of my favorite foods to eat when going out so I decided that it was about time to make one to eat at home. I love cooking the hotdogs on the grill, but if you aren’t able to do so, use a grill pan on the stove top. Works just as well and you still get the grill marks!
I went with a spaghetti sauce in the chili recipe. It is something I learned from Kristna (Justin’s former spouse). I love the flavor the spaghetti sauce gives the chili. I suggest using a thicker spaghetti sauce (I choose Prego). If you find the spaghetti sauce you use is a thinner sauce, I would add a bit more tomato paste to thicken it up some.
- 1.25 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 can Bush's Beans in Chili Sauce
- 1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Peppers
- 2 cups Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (more if you like it spicy)
- Your favorite hot dog
- Hot dog rolls
- shredded cheddar cheese
- diced onion
- Brown the hamburger with some onion and red pepper. Drain any excess fat. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes . Use as topping for hot dogs or enjoy on its own! I took some to work today, topped with cheddar cheese, warmed up it was nice and gooey on top and delicious!
Assemble the dog as such:
- Bun, dog, chili, cheese, onions. Or mix it up your own way :o) Grumpy put so much topping on, he had to eat his with a fork. I ate mine with my hands - I like things dainty and neat - exactly what my chili dog was!
Pin it! Chili Cheese Dogs