This Cajun Chicken Pasta is a copycat recipe from Chili’s menu. Bite sized pieces of chicken are coated with cajun seasoning along with some garlic and umami powder (or seasoned salt) then simmered in heavy cream with peppers, onions and mushrooms then tossed with cooked pasta.
This make at home take out pasta dish is rich and delicious and a perfect celebration recipe to keep on hand. Cajun Chicken Pasta is quick and easy comfort food at its finest!
All it takes is a little cream and pasta to make Grumpy happy!
As most of you know by now, Grumpy is and always has been a picky eater. He always complains about me making chicken whenever it is on the menu. He would rather see fish or red meat on the table.
Most of the time I don’t give him a choice. Since I am the cook, I just make what I want. And, that is exactly what I did when I made this recipe. I didn’t even bother to tell him what I was making and just made it and put his portion in the microwave until he was ready to eat it.
After he finally decided to eat dinner, I asked him what he thought. I thought this dish was absolutely delicious and ate every bit of my portion. He actually gave me a thumbs up on the dish, so this is a definite winner to try.
What you need to make this Cajun Chicken Pasta
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
Cajun seasoning: This is my favorite cajun spice.
Umami Powder: I love this umami powder and use it on everything I can.
Green and Red Bell Peppers
Bow Tie Pasta
Tips and Substitutions
- Use your favorite pasta shape. Chili’s uses penne pasta, but I really love bow tie pasta. It makes the dish feel even more special
- Cook the pasta ahead of time so it is ready when you need to stir it into the sauce
- If you want a lighter dish, substitute half and half or light cream for the heavy whipping cream
- Substitute chicken breasts or thighs for the tenders.
- Substitute 1 pound of shrimp for the chicken
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper over the chicken before cooking to give it a bigger kick.
- Don’t increase the cajun seasoning. It is already salty. Follow the step above if you need more spice.
- Substitute olive oil for butter
- Use half garlic and half onion powder
What to serve with this pasta recipe
Everyone knows that pasta and breads go together. After all, you want that bread to sop up all that yummy sauce in the bottom of your bowl!
One of my very favorite recipes to make when we have pasta is this Quick Dinner Roll recipe. If we are feeling extra indulgent, I will make this Cheesy Garlic Bread.
Other Chicken Pasta Recipes you may enjoy
*If you made this recipe for Cajun Chicken Pasta, please give it a star rating*
A creamy sauce coats bow tie pasta, cajun flavored chicken, peppers, and mushrooms.
- 6 ounces dried bow tie pasta, cooked according to package
- 3/4 pound chicken tenders, cut bite sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 small leaves fresh basil, cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken pieces in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the cajun seasoning, umami seasoning, and garlic powder over top of the chicken and toss.
- Heat the butter over medium high heat in a non stick skillet until hot. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink, stirring often.
- Add the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms and green onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Add the salt and pepper if using. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, until heavy cream has begun to reduce.
- Stir in pasta bow ties and sprinkle with fresh basil. Stir to combine. Garnish with more fresh basil when ready to serve, if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 602Total Fat 42gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 122mgSodium 1631mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 22g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.