Let me just say…….this was an amazing meal! The first time I made this my son Justin happened to come over. Earlier he had told me earlier that he loved fish tacos and wanted to have my dinner that evening! lol. Well, it wasn’t planned for him to join in but he showed up to pick up some raspberries and a birthday card and of course, since dinner was just ready, he had one. I believe his reaction is just like mine. Awesome. Just totally awesome. To think I turned my nose up at the thought of fish tacos for a long time! Was I ever wrong!
A week or so ago Grumpy and I happened to catch Bobby Flay’s Throw Down show on Fish Tacos. Does Bobby ever win?? His food always looks awesome but many of the shows I have seen he doesn’t beat the person he is challenging! On this show I learned that fish tacos are usually battered and fried fish and are usually served in corn tortillas. Bobby’s opponent also would put the entire assembled taco in the deep fryer to crisp up the shell. Oh how yummy and oh how fattening! Bobby’s taco didn’t seem to bad either, although is wasn’t “traditional” – he grilled his fish. His Roasted Habanero Mango Hot Salsa really sounds amazing!
These Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa are more like the “traditional” one but not entirely. They are more like the traditional only because the fish is beer battered and deep fried. I used flour tortillas that I made myself (oh how easy they are to do!) and a spicy mango salsa. The recipe is from Cooking Light and I adapted it some to fit our needs – which is reduce the recipe but upped the salsa and adjusted the amount of ingredients to our taste and went with Cod fish as that is Grumpy’s favorite firm white fish at the moment.
- 2 cups d iced peeled ripe mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup beer ( used Budweiser wheat beer)
- 3/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 pound cod fillet, cut into small strips (about 1 fillet)
- 4 homemade flour tortillas
- Mix mango, red onion, lime juice, cilantro and jalapeno pepper together. Set aside.
- Mix flour, pepper, salt and garlic powder together. Add beer and whisk until blended.
- Pour approximately 1-1/2 cups oil in small saucepan (about 4″ in diameter) (You can use a deep fryer but since I was not making a lot I opted for a smaller heavy aluminum saucepan) Heat oil until 370 degrees.
- When oil is to temperature, dip fillets into batter and place in hot oil. Cook3-4 minutes until fish is browned. Remove from grease and drain on paper towel (It took me 3 batches of 3-4 pieces of fish before I was done because I did it so small.)
- Assemble your taco – with fish and salsa. Enjoy! Oh if your Grumpy doesn’t like non traditional flavors with his fish, you can always give him tartar sauce and lettuce to eat in his fish taco. ;o)
- That is how I got Grumpy to eat them!