Quinoa Salad with Mango, Black Beans, and Cilantro Lime Dressing, full of flavor with a little sweet from the mango, this is a delicious and refreshing summer salad!
I really do try to eat healthy most of the time. I’m human though and I slip. Lately I’ve been walking to the “Candy Corner” at work once a day and grabbing a miniature candy bar, usually about the time I have to take mail around or right before I head out on my lunch break. I have a super sweet tooth and my son’s come by it quite naturally (especially Justin!). For the most part, I don’t eat too many sweets in one day. I’ve had my moments of over indulgence though and I have paid for it by feeling ill and whipped not long after.
In trying to counteract the candy eating I’ve been doing lately and hoping to get this sugar craze out of my system, I started looking at my vegan cookbooks for healthy recipes that would make me feel like I was getting my fill and yet not missing out on anything. I found this recipe for Quinoa Salad and the colors alone in the salad were enough to tempt me! I wanted something that would be delicious and yet good for me, that would hopefully kill that desire for anything full of sugar mid-day. My sweet/heat addiction did have me changing this recipe up a bit from the original when it came to the dressing. I thought the sweetness of the mango would help with my sugar craving and I feel that when you are putting cilantro in anything, it is natural to add lime juice and heat. I made this first without the packet of Splenda but after tasting felt that it needed a little more sweet boost than the mango was giving it. One packet (teaspoon) of it worked out just right for me and I love how it turned out. I am looking very forward to having this for lunch again today!
Other quinoa recipes you may enjoy!
Quinoa Salad with Mango, Black Beans, and Cilantro Lime Dressing
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/2 red pepper, diced small
- 1 small mango, cut in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2-3 dashes of cayenne pepper (do this to your heat tolerance)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or 1 packet splenda)
- dash or two of salt (to taste)
- Bring 1 cup of water to boil. Add quinoa and once it has come back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about 12 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat and place in mixing bowl to cool.
- Dice peppers, onions and mango into small pieces. Drain and rinse black beans. Measure 1 cup. Add vegetables and beans along with chopped cilantro to cooled quinoa.
- Whisk together grapeseed oil, cayenne pepper, sugar (or splenda), salt, and juice of one lime. Pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat.