I. crave. pasta. If anyone ever told me that I could not eat it, I would be devastated. Likewise, if anyone had ever told me when I was a young girl that I would love it as much as I do now I would have given them a funny look! I hated it as a child. I know, I was weird. Potatoes & Pasta….neither one of them were foods I wanted to eat as a child.
Still, as an adult, I’m not normally a tomato sauced pasta lover. I’d rather have a butter sauce, Asian sauce, or cream sauce with my pasta. However, Saturday I was craving a tomato-ey coated thick pasta. I had some buccatini left in my cupboard and I wanted to use that. I knew to use that I needed a sauce that would flow through the tube of the buccatini.
I decided I had to make do with what was in my cupboard to create a dish because I was not going out in the snowy cold weather we were having on that lovely October day! Seriously, I really hate seeing snow before December. Grumpy is a lot like me when it comes to pasta sauce – and he wants his full of beef if he has it in a tomato based one…so he wasn’t extremely excited about the dinner, however, he did eat it and say it was good. I guess that’s good enough of an endorsement from him!
Chicken tenders simmered in a seasoned tomato sauce. Excellent served over bucatini or zoodles.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breast tenders
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1-1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 chicken boullion cube
- 1-1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan. Place chicken tenders in hot oil and season with pepper.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side over medium heat. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Leave oil from cooking chicken in pan. Add garlic and stir fry for a minute.
- Add chopped parsley and stir-fry another 30 seconds. Add Tomatoes, vegetable broth, water, and chicken bouillon cube.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Place chicken back in pan. Simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove cover, remove chicken and set aside. Add tomato paste and simmer 5 minutes uncovered. This will reduce the liquid and thicken it.
- Serve as desired
Nutrition information is for the chicken and sauce only.
Amount Per Serving Calories 281Total Fat 8gCholesterol 130mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gProtein 53g