Banana Cake with Browned Butter Maple Frosting has that intense browned butter flavor that melds so well with bananas! This cake has amazing texture and flavor and is sure to become an instant favorite!
I had bananas that were getting over ripe. If I had a dime for how many times I said that before stating “so I started to think about what I could do with them”, I could probably be a rich girl. :o)
- For the Cake
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup splenda
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Browned Butter Maple Frosting
- 2 – 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, browned
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2-1/2 – 3 tablespoons half and half
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda and salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl mash bananas, add melted butter, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Pour liquid over flour mixture and mix with hand mixer until well blended. Pour in a 9×13 glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool.
- To make frosting, brown butter in heavy saucepan. Over medium high heat, melt butter. Watch butter carefully and let it bubble. It will begin to show brown bits in the bottom of the pan. You will start to smell the aroma of the nutty buttery goodness. Once it has browned, immediately remove from heat. Pour butter over 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar. Add maple syrup and the lesser amount of half and half. Adjust with remaining sugar and half and half as needed to make frosting of a spreadable consistency. Frost cooled cake. Garnish with toasted whole pecans. Makes 20 servings.
PIN IT – Banana Cake with Browned Butter Maple Frosting