Chunks of Certified Angus Beef® brand, stew meat simmered in a beefy gravy and surrounded by your basic stew ingredients: carrots, potatoes, peas, and onions. Beef stew is a filling and comforting meal to serve during the crisp fall days!
When I told Grumpy I was going to “wing it” and make a basic stew and just throw it together the way I thought a beet stew should be, he became concerned. Grumpy was always a “stew starter” kind of guy before me. I grew up in a home where packaged products like that were not found in our pantry and Mom would make everything from scratch! That’s right, this girl was not brought up on processed mixes so it’s not in my nature to think of using it.
The beef stew turned out quite flavorful and when Grumpy was done eating he even said “that was really good.” He finished the leftovers the next night and proclaimed that it was the best homemade one I’ve made. Well, well. Guess he shouldn’t be so concerned about my cooking should he? You know what they say about the hand that feeds you!
A beefy stew made with all the basics that is ready to serve in just an hour.
- 1 lb. beef stew meat
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, chunked
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon gravy master
- 10 baby potatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 bag frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Add stew beef, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the same pan you cooked the beef in and cook 3-4 minutes, or until onion becomes soft.
- Add stew beef, beef broth, gravy master, potatoes, carrots, thyme, and oregano to the pan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low and gently boil the veggies until they are just tender.
- Add frozen peas and simmer just a couple minutes more. Mix the flour and water together until smooth, then stir into gently boiling stew. It should thicken fairly quickly.
I served this with some Naan bread that I bought and then heated on the griddle just before serving. You will definitely want to serve this with some bread to sop up all the delicious gravy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 75mgSodium 519mgCarbohydrates 14gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 28g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.