It’s been a while since I’ve made a Cook This! Not That! recipe. I happened to be straightening my cookbooks up the other day and it caught my eye again. I love the Cook This Not That books. It’s incredible the number of calories saved by making your take-out favorites at home.
It’s that time of year again, you know, grilling season! So, when I was going through this book and I saw this a straightforward recipe for the A.1. Swiss Burger I knew that was going to be our dinner that evening. I also knew that Grumpy wouldn’t go for it, but it was a burger that I could make enough of just for myself and he could have just a regular grilled cheeseburger.
It was so easy to make that I would do it again – and would you believe I didn’t bury it in ketchup? Nope, I ate it without any ketchup whatsoever! Try it out if you like mushrooms, onions, and swiss cheese!
In the Cook This! Not That! book this burger is compared to Applebee’s Steakhouse burger. You would consume 1,190 calories, 82 grams of fat, and 2,070 mg of sodium by eating the Applebee’s burger. While I made my adjustments to the recipe that is in the cookbook, the calories and fat are still basically cut right in half by following my recipe!
- 1/2 tbsp Canola Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups sliced white or cremini mushrooms
- Badia Seasoning (to taste)
- 1lb. ground beef (80/20)
- 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 potato buns, split and lightly toasted
- 2 tbsp Tastefully Simple Merlot Sauce (Or A1 Sauce)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute onions for 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 6-7 minutes more, until mushrooms and onions are browned and caramelized.
- Add merlot sauce, coat mushrooms and onions, and set aside.
- While veggies are sauteing, shape burgers and grill them until cooked to your preference.
- Top burgers with cheese, turn off grill heat, and lower cover to allow heat to melt the cheese.
The original merlot sauce I used when first making this recipe is no longer available. Please check recommended products below for substitution suggestions.
Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529 Total Fat: 26g Carbohydrates: 33g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 41g