I really am not the picky one in this house. I think most everyone that reads this blog knows that Grumpy is the pickier one of the two of us. However, there are a few things I am picky about. I’m pickier about things I do than I am about things I eat. For instance, I’m a prissy girl all the way when it comes to getting dirty. I don’t like messy and I don’t like dirt. If you want me in the garden you better give me some gloves, and then I don’t want to get on the ground. On second thought, your better off keeping me out of the garden. I’m not against a good hard day’s work, but I hate getting dirty. I’d rather dirty my hands in the kitchen where there is a sink I can wash up with as soon as I get anything on me that I don’t like. lol
One food I am picky about is Apple Crisp. I like my apple crisp to taste just the apple crisp we would get in the school cafeteria when I was a little girl. Otherwise, I’m not happy with it and I don’t want it. Therefore, you don’t see me making it very often.
What makes an apple crisp the best I’ve ever made? The apples were moist – they didn’t dry out at all, they were cinnamon-y and not runny. The topping was crispy in places and chewy in places. It was just darn good. ESPECIALLY WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM.
Note: I reduced this recipe in order to feed 9 instead of 12. Original recipe found on allrecipes.com
- 6 cups Honeycrisp (or your favorite) apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup whole oats
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Filling: Toss apples with 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and water. Transfer to an 8×8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- For the topping:
- Blend flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. Pour melted butter over flour mixture and stir until moist.
- Crumble topping with fingers over top of sliced apples until apples are entirely covered. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until topping has browned and filling is bubbling up through the sides of the crisp.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or topping of your choice, or naked! It’s good no matter how you serve it!