When I am craving something a little more carb like but don’t want to break my carb bank, I always look to making the recipe for Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla. By using a low carb tortilla wrap, I can cut my net carbs down to 7!
This very simple to make appetizer or snack recipe is made with only 5 ingredients and so tasty! While you may not have as crispy of a tortilla as you may have with a regular flour tortilla, you will still have a delicious treat to enjoy when still sticking to your low carb diet!
When I’m on my own for a meal, I like to make something quick, easy, and for the most part, good for me. The night I made this quesadilla I was craving the buffalo chicken flavor. I had some leftover roasted chicken breast and decided to try a quesadilla.
For this particular recipe I used Trader Joe’s Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortilla. One tortilla is only 3 net carbs and perfect for a low carb diet. I felt no guilt whatsoever by doubling the tortilla up and having 6 net carbs! They are full of fiber and super delicious!
Tips for making a delicious low carb quesadilla.
- Use only a thin layer of cheese. You don’t need much to get the tortilla to stick together.
- Don’t be tempted to substitute butter for the avocado oil. Liquid in the butter may cause the tortilla to release moisture and become soggy.
- Less sauce is best! Don’t be tempted to add more hot sauce than indicated. If you want it saucier, dip the finished quesadilla itself in hot sauce as your eating it. The liquid can cause sogginess in your tortilla.
How to get creative with Quesadilla fillings!
Don’t limit yourself to one flavor. Sure, cheese and protein are awesome, but think about some of the other foods you may like to add to a quesadilla! We love buffalo chicken so it was a no brainer for us to make this particular flavor.
If you skip the hot sauce and add some bacon, you have a bacon cheddar quesadilla that would be delicious with some ranch dip! Another great combination would be steak and caramelized onions with some blue cheese! The sky’s the limit here so mix up your flavors and let me know what you come up with!
- 2 Trader Joe's low carb whole wheat tortilla wraps
- 1/2 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 3/4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1-1/2 ounces cooked chicken breast, sliced
- 1 tsp avocado oil
- Butter one side of each tortilla using 1 tsp butter per tortilla.
- Toss cooked chicken breast and Frank's Red Hot together to coat chicken.
- Heat griddle on cooktop.
- Place 1 tortilla, butter side down, on hot griddle.
- Layer tortilla with 1/2 cheddar cheese, 1/2 blue cheese, and all of the chicken mixture.
- Top chicken mixture with remaining cheddar and blue cheese. Cover with 2nd tortilla, butter side up.
- Cook on griddle until browned on the bottom. Carefully turn quesadilla over and cook on other side until browned.
- Transfer quesadilla to cutting board and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing, if desired.
Net Carbs: 7
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 quesadilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 1112mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 15g Sugar: 1g Protein: 22g