Recently I posted a revised version of the Starbuck’s Cranberry Bliss Bars using dried hibiscus flower that I received from Oh Nuts!. I also received roasted, unsalted pisatchio’s from them and I knew I was going to make a cookie that would include them. This cookie turned out great – its a great coffee/tea cookie and were oh so yummy! I actually used the pistachio to decorate the top, I didn’t put them in the cookie itself. I wanted to use flavors that I thought went well with pistachio, and my thoughts were cherry and white chocolate.
After digging in the liquor cabinet, I found some Cherry Brandy. Bingo 🙂 I had just bought some white chocolate chips from Trader Joes (man, do I EVER love that place!) and decided I would use them as part of the drizzle top. I promptly set Grumpy off to the woods on Thanksgiving morning and went to work in the kitchen.
These are crisp, not hard, and Grumpy actually loved them! He’s not much of a crunchy cookie eater, but he ate more than one which tells me they were a success. I took these to my Aunt’s house for Thanksgiving Dinner and my cousin Gregg proclaimed them very good and he asked me a couple of times how I made them. So, for you Gregg and for Oh Nuts! I am submitting this recipe and I hope you will make them for your lovely Erin! 😉
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons cherry brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lime, juiced
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy
- 1/3 cup crushed pistachios
- Whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.Whisk olive oil, whole egg, egg yolk, cherry brandy, vanilla, lime juice and zest in a large liquid measuring cup. Add to the butter mixture and beat on medium speed until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined. Cover dough with wrap and chill 30 minutes. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll the dough into 2-inch long by 1/2 inch thick logs; arrange about 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake in batches until golden brown around the edges, about 15 minutes. Rotate sheets halfway through. Cool slightly on cookie sheet before transferring to rack to complete cooling.To top cookies, melt white chocolate in microwave with cherry brandy – 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is melted. If not fully melted, microwave at 10 second intervals. You should not need more than 40 seconds. Drizzle cookies with chocolate mixture and sprinkle with pistachios. Let set at room temperature.