These Venison Pot Stickers were so easy to make! I wanted to try making my own potstickers for a while now. Lately, when we do order Chinese out (a very big rarity here), Grumpy has wanted the potstickers. While I wasn’t able to totally replicate the look, I feel that I was definitely able to replicate the flavor and since the recipe made so many, this is what our dinner ended up being.
I love the idea of an entire Chinese menu of Honey Walnut Shrimp, pot stickers, fried rice and crab rangoon. For a family of just two however, it’s just not feasable. It’s just way too much food. Grumpy happily ate just pot stickers for dinner which made me happy. I’ll have to make his Honey Walnut Shrimp for him soon since he was a good sport and told me I didn’t have to make it to go with these potstickers. 🙂
I basically followed the recipe I found for Pork Pot Stickers recipe at Epicurious. The recipe on this site is by Chef Ming Tsai and definitely is a great recipe! I used egg beaters instead of the egg. We aren’t huge pork people here unless it’s bacon, and that is a very rare treat in our home, so the venison worked really well for us in this recipe however, I feel that ground turkey would be great also.
The most work with these Venison Pot Stickers comes with the assembly. Mixing the meat and cooking these are a snap. It’s just a little time consuming putting them together – although it is not hard and well worth the effort! I’m very glad I tried these and I won’t hesitate to make them again!
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- .33 lb pound ground venison
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Maggi Soy Sauce
- 30 dumpling wrappers
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- In large bowl, toss together cabbage and 3/4 teaspoon salt and set aside for 30 minutes. Transfer to clean dish towel or cheesecloth and twist to squeeze out as much water as possible. Wipe bowl clean, then return cabbage to it. Add venison, ginger, carrots, scallions, and garlic and stir to combine.Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and egg, to cabbage-venison mixture. Stir to combine.
- On dry surface, lay out 1 dumpling wrapper, keeping remaining wrappers covered with dampened cloth or paper towel. Spoon 1 1/2 teaspoons filling into center, then moisten halfway around edge with wet finger. Fold moisture-free half of wrapper over moistened half to form open half-moon shape. To seal, using thumb and forefinger of one hand, form 6 tiny pleats along unmoistened edge of wrapper, pressing pleats against moistened border to enclose filling. Moistened border will stay smooth and will automatically curve in semicircle.
- Stand dumpling, seam-side up, on baking sheet and gently press to flatten bottom. Cover loosely with dampened cloth or paper towel. Form remaining dumplings in same manner.In 10-inch, lidded, non-stick skillet over moderately high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking, then remove from heat and arrange pot stickers in tight circular pattern standing up in oil (they should touch one another).
- Cook, uncovered, until bottoms are pale golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, tilting skillet to distribute, then cover tightly with lid and cook until liquid has evaporated and bottoms of dumplings are crisp and golden, 7 to 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons more water if skillet looks dry before bottoms are browned. Remove lid and cook, shaking skillet to loosen pot stickers, until steam dissipates, 1 to 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove potstickers from skillet and serve warm with soy dipping sauce
The Pampered Chef New Improved Garlic Press
SUNVELLA FryPure Non-GMO High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Pressed-Refined 1.32 GAL (5.0L)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:3 potstickers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 320 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 1197mg Carbohydrates: 39g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 11g
PIN IT – VENISON POT STICKERS