Can you say Oh. My. Browned. Butter. Banana. Goodness! It has been a long, long time since I have made muffins. It has also been a long time since I’ve used browned butter for anything other than frying a little sage and hitting it with some raviolis. The nutty smell of the butter browning on the stove, muffins chock full of banana, some self rising flour, an egg and some rum extract. Simple. Easy. Delicious. Go make some now!
This is also sweetened with only maple syrup. The original recipe calls for agave or honey, but I always have an abundance of maple syrup in my pantry. I love how healthy this is as well as how easy it is to put together. Make some for your mom tomorrow, I’m sure she will love them!
Bananas and browned butter make this muffin moist and delicious with a buttery nutty flavor!
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cup self rising flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.Peel bananas and place in large bowl with maple syrup and rum extract. Mash until bananas are liquidy but still slightly chunky.
- Place the butter in a heavy saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Pay close attention to the butter or it will easily burn on you.
- Add about 1 cup of the banana mixture to the browned butter. Simmer a another minute or so until a darker color is achieved. Be very careful when adding the banana mixture to the butter as it will bubble and spatter.
- Add butter/banana mixture to the remaining banana mixture in bowl. Whisk in egg. Fold in flour until just combined. Do not overmix.
- With a large ice cream scoop, evenly divide batter between 12 muffin cups. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of muffin.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 7.88gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 28.44gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 11.44gProtein: 2.68g