Trader Joes has a Broccoli Slaw and Kale Salad that I absolutely love. I decided that it would be much cheaper for me to figure out how to make this salad on my own – dressing and all. I made it all from ingredients bought at Trader Joes except for the Mayo. I only ever use Hellmann’s Mayonnaise and haven’t dared try another brand yet. Maybe I’ll get adventurous later. 🙂 I also made mine a vegetarian version by using Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Chicken.
Mom and Dad are here for a visit and they both like to eat healthier so I knew this salad would be a great salad to make while they were here. I took them shopping at Trader Joe’s and they loved the place, just like I knew they would! Everything there that we bought cost way more less than their counterparts did at Shop-Rite. For example, Candied Ginger at Shop-Rite was $2.99 for a 7 ounce bag. At Trader Joes it was $1.49 for an 8 ounce bag! The bag of broccoli slaw at Shop-rite was close to $3 where at Trader Joes it was only $1.99. Needless to say, I will shop for everything I can get at Trader Joes before I will shop anywhere else! Not only is it great prices, but great quality and a lot of organic choices top it off.
As a side note, my mom loved the dressing. The spicy, slightly smoky, slightly sweet dressing totally compliments this salad! Let me know what you think!
- 1-1/2 cups Broccoli Slaw
- 4 cups Chopped Kale
- 1/2 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1-8 ounce package Trader Joe’s Chicken-less Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sugar or Splenda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- Toss kale, broccoli, cilantro, cranberries and sunflower seeds together in large bowl. Set aside.To make dressing, whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika together. Should be a thinner consistency. Taste and make adjustments if needed.Chop chicken and place in small microwaveable bowl. Toss with about 1 tablespoon of dressing and cook in microwave about 40 seconds. This is just to coat the chicken and take the chill off it.Top salad mixture with dressing (about 2 -3 tablespoons) and toss. Place on serving plates and divide chicken between servings.