Oh what a special treat do I have for you today. Today is the day of our Secret Recipe Club
Reveal. I have been participating in this club since the very beginning and every month I eagerly go look to see who my assignment was. There is one person in particular I have been wanting to be assigned to that I still had not gotten – even though she has been in the club as long as me! She is the whole reason I have stayed in Group A. 🙂 I bet you want to know her name…and I bet she already knows. 😉
I was so ready for this day that I already knew that if I got Katrina’s blog – Baking with Boys
, that I would be baking. Um, OK, her blog is about two of my very favorite things. Baking and
Boys. 😉 Those two things in common are what eventually brought us together back in the old days….and I’m talking 2008 – when I was in the Tuesday’s with Dorie group with her. We both loved to bake (obviously
) and we both had a houseful of boys. Well, my house was an empty nest by then, but in any case, we still had that in common! I am still holding out hope that she and I will get to meet one day.
So, all that said, how could I not bake and since she loves chocolate so much, I knew I had to do something with chocolate in it. So, bananas on my counter that were way too ripe told me it was going to be her Marbled Banana Bundt
cake. It would make Grumpy, me, and most importantly, Katrina happy!
I asked Grumpy the day I made this cake if he was going to his office the next day. His response was no. I then asked him if his secretary was going to be at the office. His response was “I think so, but why don’t you leave something here for once?” ha ha. He didn’t want me giving that cake away! He wasn’t crazy about the strawberry glaze I put on it, but he didn’t want it going anywhere outside of this house either!
I was a little nervous about making this. What if it didn’t turn out? After all, Katrina bakes in high altitudes. While I live in the foothills of the Catskills, I am no where near the high altitude that Katrina is. I took my chances anyway and guess what? The. cake. turned. out. perfect. I watched it rise in the oven. I made sure to use my timer so I didn’t forget it was in the oven. When I peeked in the oven to see how it was rising, I knew I had a winner. I was absolutely ecstatic. 🙂 Definitely a recipe that must be made (and made more than once!)
I adapted Katrina’s recipe to fit what I had in my pantry. I used white whole wheat flour and sour cream. I also decided to use some of the strawberry frosting I had made for the Strawberry Cake Bonbons
. You can find the frosting recipe on that particular post!
I have to say one more thing. If Katrina did not get me this month then I guess I am staying in group A for a while! I’m pretty sure she is as anxious to have been partnered with my blog as I was with hers. After all, we’ve waited since the beginning of this club!
Please read on to the end of the recipe to see what other members of the SRC created!
Banana Chocolate Marbled Bundt Cake
By adapted from Baking and Boys
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups pureed banana
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Strawberry Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a non-stick bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt 4 ounces of dark chocolate in microwave safe bowl at 20 second intervals until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in medium size bowl. Whisk to combine then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using hand mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract and bananas and mix until combined.
- Add flour and sour cream alternately, starting with flour and ending with flour, stirring until just combined.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
- Add the two batters by heaping spoonfuls alternately around the pan in layers until both batters are used. Swirl all the way to the bottom of the pan with a knife to marble the cake.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Set cake on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan to finish cooling.
- Drizzle with strawberry glaze (or glaze of your choice) or leave plain!
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Cook time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 20 mins.
Tags: Banana, Chocolate, Cake, Bundt, Strawberry, Secret Recipe Club