This is one of Grumpy’s Favorites. I rarely make it. As a matter of fact, it has been quite a few years since I have made this recipe! However, since we have had some awesome strawberries lately, I decided that it was time to share this with you (again) with new photos and an updated recipe for Red, White, & Blueberry Pie. Lets get patriotic this week why don’t we?
This recipe originated with Pampered Chef and I encountered it years ago when I used to have their parties. Grumpy immediately fell in love with it as he is a huge fan of white chocolate. The original recipe uses a boxed pudding mix. Since we no longer use cows milk in our house, I decided I had to change the pudding up. If you haven’t figured it out yet, almond milk does not work in instant pudding. You just get soup. Yeah. We found that one out the hard way!
Want to impress everyone for your 4th of July gathering? This will definitely do the job! This time when I made the recipe I went with coconut milk to make pudding. I also had a little bit of trouble with the candy coating for the strawberries. It started to sieze on me some so I added some crisco to help loosen it up some. I have yet to find a great white dipping chocolate that I can just buy in the store that also tastes good. Feel free to leave suggestions in my comments if you have some for white dipping chocolate!
Take patriotic to the max with this gorgeous pie!
- 1- 8 inch pie crust, baked
- 1-1/2 cups light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 squares white chocolate for baking (used for bottom of pie and dipping)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, divided
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup thawed whipped topping
- Rinse Strawberries and carefully pat dry on paper towels. Select 8 uniformly sized strawberries for garnish. Slice each strawberry in half using 3″ paring Knife, leaving stems on each half. Set aside. Hull remaining strawberries and slice.
- Melt white chocolate in covered micro-cooker, uncovered on High 1 minute, stirring after each 10 sec. interval until chocolate is melted and smooth. Dip strawberry halves in melted chocolate; place in refrigerate until set.
- Scrape remaining melted chocolate over bottom of prepared pie crust, spreading evenly to coat entire bottom and sides of crust. Layer sliced strawberries over bottom of crust and set aside.
- In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, over medium heat, whisk the coconut milk, milk, and cornstarch. Add the white chocolate chips and melt completely stirring constantly.
- Beat egg yolks and quickly mix about 1 cup hot pudding mix into the egg yolks to temper. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into the pudding mixture and cook until thickened about 3 minutes. Be sure to stir constantly or your pudding will burn.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla extract and salted butter. Stir until incorporated.
- Let sit about 10 minutes then pour pudding into pie crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.