Nicole has several recipes from Eating Well on her blog and the he recipe I chose to make was a simple, quick and easy recipe from Eating Well adapted to fit what I had at home on hand. I had corn tortillas on hand because they are lower in carbs than flour tortillas and my life has been full of low carb lately. While I have never been a fan of the corn ones, I decided if I wanted to make tacos in the future that I would go with corn for a lower carb count. Turns out that the way I made this taco was pretty darn delicious and I wouldn’t hesitate to use a corn tortilla again!
I also added a tablespoon of fat free refried beans to my taco just to up my protien a little more. I didn’t have any salsa on hand but I had fresh jalapeno, onion and tomato so I went with that instead of the salsa.
There are several cupcake recipes on Nicole’s blog and while I would have loved to have made cupcakes this month, I knew I had better not. I will have an opportunity for cupcake making in August when we have our Open House party so I decided to save cupcakes for next month.
I also found that Nicole has a passion for jalapeno. I too love jalapeno and was very tempted to make the Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese. However, my desire to not eat the bread was strong so I passed over on that one for a later time also. Needless to say I have several of Nicole’s recipes bookmarked and I will definitely go back to try some more out in my future!
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons fat free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat cheddar cheese
- Whisk egg and egg white together until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Spread 1 tablespoon re fried beans over top of tortilla. Repeat with 2nd tortilla. Place on large griddle coated with cooking spray over medium low heat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In small skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat, cook jalapeno pepper and onion until softened. Stir in eggs and scramble with pepper and onion. When eggs are cooked, stir in tomato. Place 1/2 of egg mixture onto each tortilla. Fold tortilla in half. Remove from skillet and serve.