All opinions in this post are mine.
I have to admit, the more you go low carb, the easier it gets. I allow myself to have carbs for one meal a day. By carbs, I mean stuff like bread or pasta. This Orzo Chicken Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing really was worth the one meal wait!
I had just received a package from Frieda’s that included elephant garlic
. I loved the elephant garlic in the avocado dressing, the more garlic I can get the happier I am! I also had been eying a recipe in a magazine I got from Diabetic Living that called for garlic and I decided that this recipe would be the perfect one to try the elephant garlic in.
When I made this I knew Grumpy probably wouldn’t be eating it, but I also made it knowing it was a great portable lunch for work! Just pack up a serving and a side of the dressing and your good to go. I reheated the chicken/pasta mixture for 60 seconds in the microwave just to take the complete chill out of it before I topped it with my dressing and had a delicious lunch for a few days!
What do you like to make for portable lunches that you can do on a Sunday for the rest of the week? I’m looking for more great ideas!
Slightly adapted from Diabetic Living
Orzo Chicken Salad with Avocado Lime Dressing
The dressing makes more than you need for the salad. This is awesome on other things such as your omelette or nachos so plan ahead and use this up with other recipes you love avocado added!
- 1/3 cup dried whole wheat or regular orzo
- 1/2 cup frozen kernal corn
- 1 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- Avocado Lime Dressing:
- 1 whole avocado
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove elephant garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Cook orzo in large saucepan according to package adding corn at the last minute of cooking time.
- Drain and rinse to cool quickly. Be sure to drain well after rinsing.
- In a large bowl combine orzo/corn mixture, tomatoes, cilantro, chicken and feta cheese. Toss and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the dressing, in a blender add avocado, water, lime juice, garlic and red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth. Serve over top of chicken/orzo mixture.
- Yield: 2-1 cup servings of salad with 1/4 cup avocado dressing
Calories: 321 Fat: 10 Fiber: 7 Protein: 30 Cholesterol: 30