With the onset of fall and the chill in the air arriving, these Applesauce Drop Cookies with Browned Butter Icing are the perfect little afternoon snack to have with a hot cup of tea!
These soft and tasty Applesauce Drop Cookies are a delicious and warming cookie to serve guest with a hot cup of coffee or tea. Kids love them and they make a great afternoon snack as well as a part of your Thanksgiving Dessert table!
The origin of Applesauce Drop Cookies
This month is my last post for the Secret Recipe Club. I have been with the club since it started when Amanda, over at Amanda’s Cookin’ started it from a group of us who used to chat in a Yahoo Group forum.
It took off like a storm and became so popular that there had to be 4 groups of bloggers who would post a different Monday of the month each week. I always have been in group A and I’m ending in group A.
Today, my last secret recipe surprise is Anna’s blog, Cheese with Noodles. I seriously considered making Amazing Stove Top Mac & Cheese from her blog considering her name, however I ran out of time and had to find something I had ingredients for right in my pantry and not have to make a store run.
That is when I came across the Applesauce Drop Cookies with Browned Butter Icing. Anna found the recipe from a Betty Crocker Cookie book. I wonder if she and I have that same cookbook? The Applesauce Cookie I knew would be a soft one which was a plus in Grumpy’s direction and the browned butter icing was the deciding factor. These cookies were going to be my post!
Variations to the recipe
- Add 1 cup raisins, chocolate chips, or cinnamon chips or a combination of all!
- Dice up an apple and stir it into the batter.
- Add a cup of chopped toasted walnuts.
- Stir 1 tsp of cinnamon into the icing
Steps for a successful Applesauce Drop Cookie
- Don’t skip the straining of the applesauce. If you do, the batter will be thinner and not work as a drop cookie.
- Watch the butter carefully as it is browning. It doesn’t take long for browned butter to become burnt butter.
- Parchment paper or a silpat works best for preventing the cookies from sticking to your baking sheet.
Soft Cookie Recipes are the bomb!
We are huge fans of soft cookies. I grew up with my Grandmother making them on a regular basis! My very favorite soft cookie recipe is Soft Blueberry Cookies with Lemon Glaze. We also love Nanny’s Pineapple Cookies with Orange Glaze!
A soft and lightly spiced cookie with a delicious browned butter icing!
For the Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups strained applesauce
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
For the icing
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add applesauce and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture gradually stirring until combined.
- Drop dough using small cookie scoop onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until cookies bounce back to the touch and no longer look wet.
- To make frosting: in a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook until particles start to turn brown.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla, powdered sugar and heavy cream. Stir until creamy.
- You may need to add a little more cream as you go along as this frosting will thicken more as it cools.
- Frost cookies. Store in airtight container.
Amount Per Serving Calories 143Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 22mgSodium 77mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 0gSugar 15gProtein 1g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.