This Jello Poke Cake recipe is an easy way to make an elegant retro recipe dessert using white cake mix drizzled with black cherry and lime gelatin over each round of cake.
The gelatin seeps down into the poke holes in the cake making the pretty design. The jello poke cake is then frosted with a whipped cream or frozen non-dairy whipped cream for a super easy and pretty dessert will surley impresse!
Want to learn how to make the perfect poke holes for your cake? Be sure to read on to find out my secret!
A retro cake from the 70's made with a white boxed cake mix and a variety of flavored gelatin.
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounces) box black cherry gelatin
- 1 (3 ounces) box lime gelatin
- 2 cups hot boiling water
- 1(8 ounces) container frozen whipped topping
- Make the white cake mix per box instructions, following directions for
baking in round cake pans. Let cakes cool completely. Poke holes in cake
using the wide end of a chop stick. Push the chop stick through the
cake all the way to the bottom of the cake. Repeat several times on cake
layer. Set cakes aside.
- Place black cherry jello powder and lime gelatin powder in two separate
mixing bowls. Pour 1 cup hot boiling water over each bowl of jello
powder, stirring until gelatin has dissolved. Let cool slightly (about
- With a tablespoon, spoon the black cherry gelatin over 1 round of cake
and then the lime gelatin over the second round. Cover cake with plastic
wrap and store overnight in the refrigerator to allow gelatin to set.
- At least an hour before serving, layer and frost cake with cool whip.
Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve. Store any leftovers in
refrigerator. The cake will store for several days in the refrigerator.