This fuss free, easy to make Slow Cooker Clam Chowder is thick, creamy, and full of delicious clams making it a perfect comfort food and chilly evening meal! Thanks to my fellow blogging friend Sarah Olson and her new cookbook The Magical Slow Cooker I have discovered that there is more to slow cooking than just roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes!
I am very happy and grateful to be a part of Sarah’s blog tour
for her cookbook The Magical Slow Cooker
. I have been a fan of Sarah’s blog
for quite a while now and I love everything she has to offer! She has opened my eyes and helped me see that not only can you make delicious food from breakfast to dessert in the slow cooker, but it can also be beautiful! I love that her cookbook is easy to read and has a photo of every recipe!
I remember when I was younger my dad loved to eat oyster stew or clam chowder and the only way he ever had it was from the can. With mom not eating seafood, she probably never felt inspired to make this type of soup from scratch. So, other than a restaurant experience, all I have ever had for clam chowder is from a can. Until this last weekend. I made a few little changes to the recipe itself to suit our tastes and Grumpy’s desire! I steamed some extra clams for our Spaghetti with Pino Grigio and used those clams in this chowder rather than the clams from a can, and added a few less potatoes than the recipe called for. Grumpy informed me not to do that the “next time” I make this recipe. So, this is a real keeper folks since I was told “next time!”
I learned several things from this experience. For instance, did you know you could roast nuts in your slow cooker? Sarah has a recipe for Rosemary Party Nuts
(page 35) that I must try! What a perfect way to make some holiday treats for your friends. I also must try the Italian Beef Sliders
(page 45) and Caramel Apple Crisp
(page 190) would be perfect to take to a potluck function! You could take it still warm and wouldn’t people love you for that! Come to think of it The Magical Slow Cooker
would be a perfect gift for your busy friends!
Thank you Sarah for asking me to be a part of your blog tour! If you would like to follow Sarah on Social Media you can find her on Pinterest
, and Instagram
Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
By slightly adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker
Thick, creamy, and fuss free, this flavorful clam chowder is the perfect comfort food!
- 1-32 ounce container chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup diced leeks
- 5 cups peeled and diced white potatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1-8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 2-6.5 ounce cans minced clams, drained OR 1 lb fresh steamed clams
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Oyster Crackers, Paprika, and fresh thyme leaves for serving
- Combine the chicken broth and cornstartch in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add the potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without removing the lid during cooking time.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add 1/2 of the potato mixture and broth to blender (secure lid well and cover with towel to prevent burning or explosions!) Pulse until smooth. Add this mixture back to the slow cooker. Add clams and stir. Keep on warm until ready to serve. Serve with Oyster crackers, sprinkles of paprika and fresh thyme leaves.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 08 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 8 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: Seafood, Soups and Stews, Clams, Comfort Food, slow cooker, Cookbook review, blog tour