These Rhubarb Custard Bars have a shortbread crust, a custard filling, and a creamy whipped topping. They are light and delicious with plenty of rhubarb flavor coming through. There is just enough sweet to cut the tart of the rhubarb. This light recipe is a delicious springtime dessert that you will love to eat all summer long!
I have made this recipe for Rhubarb Custard Bars for many years now. It is the first rhubarb recipe I made for Grumpy and this just may be the one that won him over and made him decide to never, ever leave me! I also remember this being a dessert my Nanny loved to enjoy and I remember her visiting and enjoying them with Grumpy and me.
I grew up with rhubarb growing freely in our gardens. As a matter of fact, it grows so well, it is almost like a weed! Rhubarb is a sturdy and hearty plant. One that is not easy to kill, even though I seem to have been brown thumbed enough to have actually done that. Not something I love to admit!
Pin it! Rhubarb Custard Bars
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 5 cups diced rhubarb
- 1-8 oz package 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar free cool whip
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To prepare crust, place flour, sugar, and salt in food processor. Drop in cold cubed butter and process until crust forms crumbles. Place crumbles in 9x13 baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Press crumbs in bottom of pan covering entire bottom. Bake for 15 minutes.
- To prepare filling, In a large mixing bowl combine cashew milk, flour, sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined. Stir in rhubarb. Pour over partially baked crust and return to oven. Bake for another 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a medium mixing bowl combined softened cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Fold in 1 cup sugar free whipped topping. Spread over completely cooled bars. Store in refrigerator.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 17mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 20g Protein: 1g