Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna is a quick and easy vegetarian lasagna recipe with a white cheese sauce and topped with chopped pecans. This lasagna is a nice change of pace from the tomato sauce and meat-based classic lasagna recipe.
Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna makes an impressive meal to serve guests. It is as easy as steaming the squash and tossing with the kale, then layering it between no-boil noodles with a cheesy bechamel sauce. It will look and taste as you went out of your way when you really took a shortcut!
Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna: A non-traditional lasagna recipe
I think most of my long-time readers know that Grumpy’s very favorite casserole is a traditional lasagna while I, on the other hand, am not the biggest fan. Pasta was something I did not like as a child, especially when it was combined with a red sauce.
While I don’t hate that combination any longer, it’s still not my favorite. However, when we went low carb and I made this Low Carb Lasagna, I realized I loved that recipe and will make that anytime Grumpy gets the craving for lasagna (yes, he loves that one too!).
I am more of a pasta and white sauce kind of girl. Alfredo is my best friend. I love the cheesy white sauce on everything. So when I first made this lasagna, I knew it was going to be a keeper recipe due to the ease and tasty features of this dish.
What you need to make Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna
Butternut Squash: We grow our own squash, so I do all the peeling and chopping myself, but you can buy it in the store pre-cut to save time. My only tip is that you do cut it into smaller pieces if you do as what you buy pre-cut in the store is usually large cuts.
Kale: I buy precut kale, then chop it up some more before putting it in the measuring cup.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.
No Boil Lasagna Noodles: These no-boil noodles are a big part of this Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna success. I highly recommend using these for time-saving purposes.
Chopped Pecans: I highly recommend you do not omit the pecans from this lasagna recipe. As a matter of fact, I kind of go over the amount listed in the ingredients below because I love the flavor they add to the recipe.
Tips for an easy to make lasagna recipe
Buy a microwave steamer if you do not have one. I absolutely LOVE using my microwave steamer. This is one of my very favorite kitchen tools. It saves me so much time and there is far less mess to clean up afterward. I also use it to make Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and Cheese and Herb Stuffed Artichokes, two of my favorite side dish recipes.
When baking this butternut squash kale lasagna, be sure to place the baking dish on a baking sheet lined with foil to prevent an oven mess. Sometimes the sauce will bubble over the pan and drip onto the bottom of the oven.
Alternatively, you may want to purchase one of these oven liners. I absolutely love mine. Just remember if you have a spill, you need to take it out and clean it. You also need to remove it before running your oven on self-clean. (believe me, I learned from experience!)
Other lasagna recipes you may like
Zucchini Noodles are a great substitute for pasta and this Zucchini Lasagna with Italian Sausage is a delicious recipe that both Grumpy and I enjoy.
This Butternut Squash Caramelized Onion and Spinach Lasagna recipe is another favorite of mine. My favorite part is the bechamel sauce which has a touch of nutmeg.
Lasagna Roll-Ups are a fun way to enjoy lasagna with the cheese filling rolled up inside of the noodles and the sauce poured over the top before baking.
*If you made this Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna, please give it a star rating*
A quick and easy vegetarian lasagna recipe with butternut squash and kale in white cheese and chopped pecan topping.
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-3/4 cups almond milk, divided
- 2 ounces Cheddar-Gruyère cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Place the butternut squash in a microwave steamer basket. Add water to the bottom of the steamer and cook on high power for 5-7 minutes, until butternut squash is fork-tender.
- Drain the steamer and toss the butternut squash and kale together. Place the lid on top of the steamer bowl and let the combination sit for 10 minutes to steam and wilt the kale.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until garlic begins to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine the flour and 1/2 cup of almond milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add milk mixture and remaining 2 1/4 cups milk to garlic in hot saucepan; increase the heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring often.
- Remove from heat. Stir in 1 ounce each Cheddar -Gruyère and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until cheese melts.
- Coat baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup milk mixture on the bottom of the dish. Arrange 2 noodles over the milk mixture; top with half of the squash mixture and 2/3 cup milk mixture. Repeat layers once, ending with remaining noodles and remaining milk mixture. Cover
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining Cheddar-Gruyère cheese and pecans over top.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and sauce is bubbly.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 372Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 37mgSodium 963mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 4gSugar 10gProtein 17g
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.