This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper/Seven Up, Inc. All opinions are my own. #BrighTENtheSeason
An easy recipe for cupcakes made with a chocolate cake mix and A&W TEN®, frosted with a root beer flavored buttercream. Only six ingredients make up this lovely Root Beer Float Cupcake.
There are some sweet savings as well as a giveaway for Target GiftCard™ after the recipe, so grab the recipe and scroll on down to enter!
What is your perfect holiday moment? Mine is to have both of my children home for the holidays. When you don’t live close by it makes it even more special. This year I am going to be the lucky mom who has both of her children in the same room at the same time for the holidays. I’m so happy that we can all be together again, even if it will be for just a short time. It’s time to celebrate, its time for cupcakes!
Why Root Beer Float Cupcakes for the holidays? When I was a young girl I loved Root Beer Floats. I loved the way the root beer would freeze slightly around the vanilla ice cream and I remember loving to eat that part of the float in particular. I also loved chocolate cake. In particular, my Nanny’s Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. It would always be my birthday request from Nanny or Mom as my birthday cake. This year we will be celebrating not only the holidays, but will be celebrating my youngest son’s birthday which happens to be December 26th! We are a cupcake loving family, so to me, creating the perfect holiday moment combined with memories and treats is what mom needs most.
I went to Target for lunch break one day last week and while there I headed down the soda pop aisle. I had a coupon on my Cartwheel app for A&W TEN® (only 10 calories and full flavor) and that is what I wanted to use in my recipe for the cupcakes. I also picked up some Diet 7UP® for another flavor to have on hand and because I can’t resist a good sale! I finished up with a chocolate cake mix and eggs and was on my way.
I decided to give the cupcakes a trial run to see how they would turn out and to see if that Root Beer flavor would come through in the cake (which it did!). I put my cake mix, 2 egg whites, and 1-12 ounce can of A&W TEN® into a mixing bowl.
Using my hand mixer on medium speed, I blended the ingredients together until they were smooth.
I used my large cookie scoop to place the batter in the cupcake liners. If you don’t have a large cookie scoop, you can measure about ¼ cup of batter into each liner. I needed two cupcake tins as recipe was going to yield 24 cupcakes! I baked the cupcakes at 350 for 20 minutes, then set them out to cool.
While they were cooling, I put together the buttercream frosting. I needed some A&W TEN®, confectioner’s sugar, and unsalted butter.
I mixed the frosting ingredients together and frosted the cool cupcakes, then decorated with a maraschino cherry. I always loved to have a cherry on top of my Root Beer Float!
- For the cake:
- 1-18.25 ounce box of chocolate cake mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1 can (12 oz) A&W TEN®
- For the frosting:
- 3 cups confectioner sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup A&W TEN® (more if needed for correct consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, and A&W TEN® until batter is smooth.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until cake bounces back when lightly touched with the tip of your finger.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- To make the frosting, mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar and butter. Add remaining sugar and A&W TEN® and stir until combined. Add more Root Beer or Sugar as needed to get desired frosting consistency. Be sure the frosting is not too soft. You want it to be easy to pipe or spread, but not so soft it will be runny.
Find more ideas from these perfect holiday moments.
You can make these cupcakes part of your perfect holiday moment also. Check out these awesome Cartwheel offers for extra savings.
- 30% off 12pack of Canada Dry TEN®, 7UP TEN®, A&W TEN®, Sunkist® TEN™ Soda
- 10% off 8pack 12oz bottles of Canada Dry®, 7UP®, A&W®, Sunkist® Soda and more
From Nov 16 – Dec 12, (5) $100 Target GiftCards™ will be given away each week to those who upload an Instagram, Facebook or Twitter photo showing how they #BrighTENtheSeason. All winners must be at least 18 years old.