Santa’s Whiskers are a slice and bake shortbread cookie. Full of chopped candied cherries and pecans, it is rolled in coconut and refrigerated overnight before baking. Once baked, the coconut will crisp up and resemble Santa’s Whiskers, hence the name of the cookie!
These cookies are great to leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve, or to include as part of your holiday gift trays!
Every year, for the cookie swap, we are to make a cookie that we have not blogged before. I always choose a cookie that I have not made before also. Little did these bloggers know that they were my guinea pigs! In all reality, if they hadn’t turned out, I would have made them something else so I did know they were yummy before I sent them!
These cookies were so easy to make. I love the fact that once the logs are shaped and wrapped you can store them in the freezer until you are ready to bake them!
Once the cherries and pecans are combined you divide the dough into three portions. You’re going to make cookie logs!
The logs are then rolled in coconut. I use unsweetened flaked coconut.
I wrapped my logs in the Press & Seal wax paper wrap then put them in the freezer for about an hour.
Remove from the freezer and cut into about 1/4 inch slices. I wasn’t extremely consistent. Some were thinner than others but did good for the most part!
These cookies are great for shipping. They are a sturdy cookie, easy to pack, and should make the journey quite safely to where they are going.
What are your favorite cookies to make for shipping or giving away to family and friends?
Pin it – Santa’s Whiskers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped red candied cherries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- In a large mixing bowl using electric hand mixer cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add almond milk and vanilla and beat well. Ad flour and beat until well mixed. Dough will be very stiff.
- Stir in cherries and pecans.
- Divide dough into thirds and shape each third into 7 inch rolls. Roll in coconut flakes to coat. Wrap and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Cut dough into 1/4 inc slices. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Remove and cool. Makes 80 cookies.
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 141 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 41mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Protein: 1g